Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a 15 year old female cat. Her peeing habit is to go…

Customer Question
I have a 15...

I have a 15 year old female cat. Her peeing habit is to go just inside the cat box so half of her urine goes in the box and half outside the box. Since Sunday she has chosen to not use the box at all and instead is peeing in the rec room which is right next to the room where the box is. I just watched her pee on the rug; strong stream, regular color almost clear urine which is how it usually looks. She is a good drinker and is still eating both wet and dry food and drinking normally. Any idea what could be happening? I put out a litter box with torn newspaper today but she hasn't gone near it. I haven't found any feces around so she has to be using the litter for that. I have a male cat as well who is 15. They came into the house together as kittens.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the kitten's name?

Ava

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ava?

She is showing no signs of stress or discomfort. All of her other behavior is the same.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/18/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS AND DO NOT SEND THE REQUESTS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. You cannot completely rule out a stress related event because cats can hide that very well. My first concern is that she has a urinary tract infection, though. Given that she is 15 years old, kidney problems, diabetes, liver problems and hyperthyroidism are all potential causes. With many of these medical issues, inappropriate urination is often the only sign these show you that something is wrong. I would probably put a behavioral issue lower on my list because of that. I would have your vet at least run a urinalysis on her, but blood work would be a very good idea with her age as well. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how Ava is doing and to see if you have any other questions.