Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

One eye is bulging and turned total black, wolf mix, Not…

Customer Question
One eye is bulging...

One eye is bulging and turned total black

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?

Wolf mix

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the wolf's name and age?

Not sure belongs to neighbor. Know it's at least 11 years old, recently lost mate and has been howling all night for several nights

Veterinarian's Assistant: The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the wolf's name?

I think Tiny

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the wolf?

No, he is very calm,, came to me at the fence when I called him

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/18/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry you are worried about your neighbor's wolf mix's eye.

This could be glaucoma, if the eye is bulging. It could also be a tumor growing behind the eye. Both of these conditions would be very painful.

There is no over the counter treatment for these conditions. You need prescription medication for glaucoma, but if it is an advanced case it may be too late for medication; we then just remove the eye (the eye is usually blind by that time) to alleviate the pain. If there is something growing behind the eye, only surgery would help.

Thank you for trying to help this dog/wolf. Please let me know if this is helpful and what other questions I can answer.