Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have been rescuing cats over the past 35 years, over 18 to…

Customer Question
I have been rescuing...

I have been rescuing cats over the past 35 years, over 18 to be exact. Some come with preexisting conditions other do not. Keekah showed up on my porch a few years ago staying in the insulated huts. When her porch mated died of a brain lesion she decided to come inside. She appears to be spayed, no history of heat or pregnancy. I have vaccinated her for everything but rabies I have to bring her to a clinic for that. She was gone for 3-4 days and acting normal until then. She came back friendly but subdued. She cannot swallow. She tried to eat but then gags. She also had black crust on her nose and mouth.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?

Keekah. I gave her SubQ lacatated ringers tonight though her skin did not seem to indicate dehydration.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Keekah?

She has always been thin since she showed up on my porch but eats well though not a big eater and loves her treat. She is very active and is always catching something. I have not tired to look in her throat yet to see if I can see anything,]

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/18/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm sorry to hear of this with Keekah. I don't see an alternative to having her vet directly visualize Keekah's oropharynx as part of a more thorough physical exam. Cats do suffer from "sore throat" secondary to infectious and contagious diseases but I also need to consider neoplastic disease such as squamous cell carcinoma in the oral cavity if Keekah is an older cat. The black crust is unclear to me but usually describes soiled discharge from the nose (mucus/pus) or saliva. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Already been to a vet and blood work done. Her hematocrit is low at 24% and she anemic though not sure why and perhaps some internal bleeding. Inflammation on left jaw and vet said she thought she heard some crunching sounds so possible fractured jaw and X-rays tomorrow.I will be asking for a refund due to late response.

Please contact customer service at ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund-0/ for help in that regard.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian