Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She's drinking a lot of water, not eating very much, and…

Customer Question
Hi. She's drinking a...

Hi. She's drinking a lot of water, not eating very much, and throwing up what she does eat undigested. She has lost weight.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

She is about 15, long-haired Balinese (we think). Don't know if this is related, but her eyes of changed from a clear blue to a muddled, almost bubbly dark blue.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/18/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 8 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear your cat is unwell, not certain the change in eye colour is significant however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. While I cannot accurately diagnose your cat's problem via the Internet I can give you the following general information based on my past experience of a great many such cases over the years. The bot***** *****ne is that drinking excessively such as you describe combined with weight loss would always be quite a cause for concern, the chances are some serious disease process is causing these symptoms so this is something you should have checked out sooner rather than later.

2. What I can do though is to talk you through just a few of the common possible causes of excess drinking [ polydipsia ] that I know of. This is the personal list I use when presented with a case like yours, the chances are that the disease your cat is suffering from is here somewhere ...

A. Diabetes mellitus - sugar diabetes - easy diagnosis via blood test
B. Diabetes insipidus - rare but does happen - catches vets out !
C. Kidney disease - diagnosed by blood tests
D. Chronic hepatitis - diagnosed via blood tests

3. Since there is such a range of diagnosis the only advice I can give you is that you should have your cat checked over by your vet sooner rather than later. Sadly there is rarely any scope for home remedies in this sort of situation, however a thorough clinical examination followed by a quick blood test will very often shed light on the matter.

4. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.