Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My rescue kitten Lockette had a dark discharge and was

Customer Question
Hello, my rescue kitten...

Hello, my rescue kitten Lockette had a dark discharge and was sneezy when we got her at 3 to 4 weeks old. she has been treated with clavamox one time for upper respitory because she sneezes out debris everyday....she didn't really get better other than it was a cleaner snot...I think that there seems to be a parasite present ...one that mayble causes a lump and her hair looks funny in certain places and stands straight up?? She seems extremely agitated at times but usually the sweetest thing you ever saw....she sniffs hard at things like she is looking for something specific....now today she is loudly breathing and not really putting weight on her rear left leg...to the point of falling over several times....I swear that the black coming from her eyes is some kind of bug even tho I cant be sure I also thought I saw something green and reflective in her eye??? I'm crazy maybe ...I just love her I believe she is about 4 months now?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the kitten can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the kitten's name?

Oh and I have tried every food available to kittens....and she wont eat much of anything...there is one dry food she will nibble on...she likes eggs and cheese and corn....it's weird when we saw her grab my sisters food...I dont know what her habits were before us...we bottle fed her..

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oh And I?

Thats all I can think of....I don't know...

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
dark discharge from eyes...it almost seems like bugs...also snot from one side would get so hard and solid was difficult to remove daily...
Her name is***** Ghostface but we call her "Moink" <3
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/17/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Cher, Feline Specialist replied 9 months ago
Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist

Hi, I'm Cher. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply, shortly.

I'm sorry Moink (very cute nickname!) is experiencing these problems.

From your description of her symptoms, she may have the feline herpes virus, which is not related to human herpes, but is like a severe upper respiratory infection that never seems to go away, completely. It can sit dormant for a while and then, there will be a flare-up.

The black discharge from her eyes may be part of this cycle of herpes virus (also called feline Rhinotracheitis); unless you see anything moving within the discharge, there shouldn't be any bugs, unless she has fleas, which you may be seeing. If she is now 4 months, even if she is an indoor-only kitty, she can be treated with a topical monthly flea treatment sold by your vet or the same product sold in pet supply stores; however, do not EVER use flea treatments from supermarkets or pet stores that are not also sold by your vet, as they are not effective and have been known to cause severe reactions in cats, some even fatal! Make sure you get a kitten flea treatment, because the dosage is based on weight.

Don't let the nasal discharge harden, by cleaning away, only once a day; as soon as you see it accumulating, wipe it away with a warm, damp cotton ball.

You said the nasal or eye discharge was originally green, but now it's clear, so that's good and the antibiotics helped with the bacterial infection that was present.

You will need to bring her to the vet to find out what's wrong with her rear left leg, if she can't bear weight on it. She may have injured it in a fall from a height and landed awkwardly, or she might have gotten it stuck in something and struggled to get it free. It could be as simple as a strain or sprain and as serious as a hairline fracture, not just in her leg, but possibly in her hip. She might need some imaging, like an x-ray to check for that.

If she has bumps under or on top of her skin and her hair is standing straight up, she may have other external parasites which need different treatment, she could have allergies or other skin conditions, so the vet should be made aware of this, also.

You can run a humidifier in the rooms where she spends the most time, to help moisten her eyes and nasal membranes.

Also, do not let her eat people/table food. Find a canned kitten food that's grain-free, paté (smooth, no shreds, chunks, minced, pieces), where real meat is the first ingredient and it contains no artificial flavors, colors and/or preservatives. You can also offer her dry kitten food containing the same, above. If she's not interested in the various varieties of canned food (don't change daily, but give her at least a week, to see if she'll like it--changing diet often, can cause an upset stomach), try adding water from a can of regular tuna or add some bottled clam juice. Also, you can very slightly warm the canned food in the microwave on a very low setting just for a few seconds. Test for any hot spots with your finger, before feeding. If she likes plain scrambled eggs, that can be a treat, but make sure it's not cooked in butter or oil and has no salt. Offer a small portion once in a while. Some well-recommended brands of kitten food are Wellness, EVO and Felidae, found in pet stores. They say for 'cats and kittens.'

L-lysine, a naturally occurring supplement, is used in the treatment of feline herpes virus and comes in special formulations, just for cats:

https://www.amazon.com/VETOQUINOL-Enisyl-F-Lysine-Treats-Re-Closable/dp/B008DGO5HM

--------------

https://www.chewy.com/vetoquinol-viralys-l-lysine-oral-gel/dp/102541

--------------

I hope all will be well with Moink and please keep me posted on how she's doing. Thanks!

I hope you feel that I have given you Great Service. If so, a 5 star rating would be very appreciated. Your rating should be based solely on my answer and not any site issue. Experts are not compensated for their assistance, until a positive rating is given.

If you have any other, related questions, please reply here, and I'll be happy to follow up with you at no additional charge, even after you have rated.

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Hello again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and Moink. My primary goal is always to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful? Please let me know. Thanks!

Best regards,

Cher