Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

Chronic kidney disease, 16 yr old feline, Baci, Weighs 8

Chronic kidney disease
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: 16 yr old feline
JA: OK. What is the feline's name?
Customer: Baci
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Baci?
Customer: Weighs 8 lbs, drinks a lot, he likes water mixed with his wet food

Welcome! My name is***** am a 2003 UC Davis graduate and practice owner. Please reply with a hello so I know we are connected before continuing.

Hello, Got it. Chronic kidney disease. What specific question may I help you tackle?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello

Not sure if your question is about treatment, if there is a problem, etc...
Can you be a bit more specific on how I can help.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I took Baci to get, pd $277 for labs, she told me he was in crf, and pancreatitis. I never got specific lab results, was told to put him on low phosphorus diet. Most catfood labels do not list this information. Also she have him 100cc NS and some b12
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can't keep paying hundreds of dollars for labs. He won't eat the special diet food. I just feed him whenever he wants to be fed and give him lots of water. How do I go about treating this?

Understood.

Absolutely, with CRF, don't even bother with any over-the-counter food. Immediately switch to a prescription diet designed for kidney disease like Science Diet K/D or Royal Canin Renal Support. There is nothing else that compares to these diets formulated already with restricted protein and limited phosphorous. Very important.

If won't eat it, ask the vet about trying some Mirtazapine. It can be a very handy once every 48-72 hours appetite stimulant medication.

He also may not want it due to stomach upset. High kidney values can cause ulcers in the stomach. To help, you can start giving some over-the-counter Pepcid A.C. 10mg regular strength antacid. Just a 1/4 tablet of a 10mg Pepcid once to twice a day would work. Confirm with your vet if twice daily indicated based on what is going on.

With concurrent pancreatitis, that is very serious and very sorry to hear about both problems. I don't know if the diagnosis is correct or if proper additional testing was done to verify if there actually is pancreatitis or not. That would typically be a add=on test like a cPL at the vet office or a CPL test sent out to a laboratory. These cost more money. So, vet might be assuming (just a guess).

Nonetheless, have to assume they are right, and if so, pancreatitis can be painful.

So, also talk to the vet about trying a little pain medication called buprenorphine to help out the abdominal pain commonly found with pancreatitis.

Wish I could do more but hope that information helps!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
One other question? Would it help to add a phosphorus binder?

Not likely initially.

When on the prescription diets, they are already restricted.

If not on a prescription diet, and on a regular diet, it would be of negligible benefit.

Why?

Well, the protein level being too high is far more of a problem than the elevated phosphorous.

I wouldn't priortize concern for phosphorous right now.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you.

You are very welcome.