Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She was just diagnosed with renal failure and won't eat,

Customer Question
She was just diagnosed...

She was just diagnosed with renal failure and won't eat

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Crazybaby

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Crazybaby?

13

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Crazybaby?

Chronic UTI condition I am giving her SQ fluids until I see the vet tomorrow. I also put her in the renal diet from Royal canine

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/17/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Andy, Medical Director replied 8 months ago
Dr. Andy, Medical Director

Welcome! My name is***** am a 2003 UC Davis graduate and practice owner. Please reply with a hello so I know we are connected before continuing

Hello

Is she currently on any antibiotics for the UTI?

Is she on any particular food from the vet?
How many days so far without eating at least a 1/2 size meal?

She is on the renal diet from royal canin. She received an antibiotic shot
Clavimox?
Been since Thursday since she had had a full meal
I am giving her SQ fluids

Antibiotic shot would typically be Convenia that lasts 14 days. But, awkward to get BOTH a antibiotic shot and clavamox. Shot may have been something else, but doesn't matter.

As long as plan to start tackling UTI has started and clavamox is good antibiotic.

Now, not eating could be due to the antibiotic itself, or perhaps, the kidney values have gotten high enough that the urea level in the body is causing stomach problems.

To help out some, you can start giving some Pepcid A.C. antacid. Get the 10mg regular strength tablets and give 1/4 tablet every 12 hours until you consult your vet.

Also, ask the vet about starting some Mirtazapine. It is a medication commonly used by vets every 48 to 72 hours in cats to try and stimulate the appetite.

Hope that information helps!

it was covenant. I will give some Pepcid and call about the other pil. Tomorrow. The onset was just so quick, caught me off guard.
Sorry covenia.

Yep.

Not sure why both were done, but certainly good coverage to tackle the UTI.

Yep, start Pepcid now and consult vet ASAP.

Hope my responses have been satisfactory.

Dr. Andy, Medical Director