Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cats, I sprayed blue spray on them without knowing it's…

Customer Question
My cats, I sprayed...

My cats, I sprayed blue lotion spray on them without knowing it's toxic to felines.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Did you see what your cat ate?

It's blue lotion spray, for dogs and horses.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?

Topical spray, bright purple in color

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/17/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about your cats.

Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Deb

From what I can tell after researching the ingredient list of this product, it shouldn't be toxic per se. However, since cats are sensitive to so many things, I'd give them a bath in Dawn Dishwashing liquid (or something similar if you don't have this brand) to remove as much of the spray as possible if you haven't already done so.

I'm fairly certain that the cats won't appreciate my suggesting it but this would be the best way to remove any residual spray.

Should they ingest any of the spray, it may cause gi upset such as vomiting, drooling or possibly diarrhea; however, these signs should be self limiting.

I hope this helps, Deb

Baths are fine with my cats, I've been bathing them since they were very young and it's almost as simple as me giving myself a bath. This spray I was talking about is apparently toxic to cats (see back of bottle that I attach in pic but I didn't know that until after I sprayed them). They were both sick already from what I thought was a skin irritation. I tried bath it off of them but it's like permanent purple ink. It stains them.Annabel Lee is just constantly walking like in robot mode, just roaming ever which direction really slowly and really sluggish like her legs are hard to stretch out and keeps kinda falling over and just moving real slow, but consistently walks and I can even get her to lay down and when I say robot mode I mean, if there is something in front of her, she'll just stumble over it, trip, fall and then back walking again.I keep them in a building beside our house and let them out when I can watch them in the yard. The neighbors have dogs and giant barn owls fly over and I don't want them to get attacked or swooped up, I think the dump truck had to have been leaking fluid out that got into the building and it absorbed through her paws or something. She was horrible this morning when I went out to see them and let them out, she couldn't hardly move her back end and hadn't been drinking or eating it didn't seem like, but he didn't get bad sick until I tried to treat their skin (which was irritated from whatever poisoned her) with that blue lotion spray.
I took them out of the building and brought them in but things seem very bad for her. My boyfriend won't let me spend any money on taking them to the vet so I was really hoping for some at home vet advice/remedy. I'm so scared she's going to die. Nevermeow is is just a little sluggish right now but she is looking rough.
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Cat Veterinarian