Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My make cat is meowing a lot and as of yesterday is digging…

Customer Question
Hi my make cat...

Hi my make cat is meowing a lot and as of yesterday is digging everywhere like he would in his box. His litter box is clean. A few moments ago he squatted on my purse and there seems to be blood on it. I'm scared he is ill.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?

No, he has his normal appetite but maybe in his box more than usual.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/16/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your cat. It sounds like he may have a UTI (urinary tract infection), or bladder inflammation from stones or crystals.

The only way to know what is wrong would be to do a urinalysis, and check for infection, crystals or white blood cells, and to do an Xray to look for bladder stones.

He may need antibiotics if he has an infection. Until you can get him checked out, try to get him to drink as much as possible to flush out his bladder. Offer him broth, or add water to his canned cat food.

You can try, if he will take it, giving cranberry extract or supplements.

Let me know if this is helpful and if I can answer anything else.

Ok I will try to get him to drink more water and feed him wet food. He is very picky and doubt he will have cranberry juice. Should I take him to the emergency vet?

If you are worried, take him to the emergency vet. If you want to wait until your regular vet can see him, that should be OK as long as he is eating and drinking.

If he stops eating, if he vomits, or if he is not passing any urine at all, he should go to emergency.

Please let me know if my answer is helpful and if I can answer anything else.

How is your cat doing? I did not hear back from you!

Please let me know if this was helpful and if I can answer anything else.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

How is your cat doing? Was my answer helpful?

Kindly consider rating my answer (smiley faces or stars) if this was helpful.

Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian