Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I went to Banfield and the vet there told me my cat has an…

Customer Question
I went to Banfield and...
I went to Banfield and the vet there told me my cat has an ear infection and that his ears need to be cleaned by an Oticetic Flush and then Tresaderm should be applied. However he is very
uneasy with having ear drops and when I try to clean his ears he struggles a lot. I am afraid that the flush will get into his eyes if he struggles a lot. I habe tried a few times and was able to add a little of the ear flush to clean his ears and then add the tresaderm, however he had cried and meowed loudly as if in pain. I wanted to know if that is normal. I also read reviews from some people saying that Tresaderm made their cat deaf. Today I also called Banfield asking if there's an alternative to washing his ears and using eardrops but the vet said there isn't any. Online however, I read that there are oral antibiotics that a cat can take and I was wondering what oral antibiotics would be useful to treat ear infection so I can ask Banfield about it.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/16/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS AND DO NOT SEND THE REQUESTS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. Oral antibiotics usually do not do anything for treating an ear infection, unless it is an inner or middle ear infection, which is usually not the case. Any ear medication can cause toxicity to the ears if the ear drum is compromised. Now, it is possible to have an idiosyncratic reaction to the medication. That is not really an issue with the medication but with the patient. There are options you have, though. There are a couple of medications that can be applied and last anywhere for 2 weeks to a month. They are only labeled for use in dogs (as are all ear medications besides Tresaderm), but have been used off label in cats. They can also pack it with a compounded medication called BNT, which will last for 2 weeks. I would inquire doing something like that. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian