Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

A lot! Switched foods---been dealing with sensitive stomach…

A lot! Switched foods---been...

A lot! Switched foods---been dealing with sensitive stomach issues for years. Just switched to a Hills sensitive stomach. Now she has been projectile vomiting and also puke that appears like diarrhea and smells as such. Also diarrhea in box

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?

I don't believe so?

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?

Tooky---she is 13

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Tooky

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tooky?

She has had a very slow growing lump in lower abdomen since a year of age. Small warty cyst on armpit

9/16/2017
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Tooky has been having chronic vomiting and diarrhea. It sounds like Tooky's vomiting is not a new thing and something she has been doing for a long time, but now there is diarrhea and also a lump on the abdomen. I am sorry to hear about this problem. Have any blood tests or diagnostic imaging (i.e. x-rays, ultrasound) been performed for this condition?

No not yet. My prior vet has said for 10 years the lump was correlated to her spaying. A vet in Colorado last year seemed to disagree and did have concerns that the lump felt attached. I'm unsure if the vomiting is related to the lump issue, or if this is a different issue---although long-going.
Unfortunately unable to afford the Call Me option right now

No worries. That is automatically offered by the website, but I can answer your question with text chat only. I am writing my response now. Please allow a few more minutes.

Absolutely

The lump is not likely to be related to the vomiting because it is unlikely to be connected to inside the abdomen and cause nausea or result in such severe pain that nausea would occur. However, it would be a good idea and recommended to have the lump tested if there is concern that it is a tumor. Unless she was spayed within the last 2-3 years, or unless they used a suture material that does not dissolve, then I would not expect this lump to be related to the spay procedure. A small lump can occur initially but will disappear as the suture dissolves.

It sounds like Tooky has a chronic history of vomiting, even as a younger cat, which can be caused usually by an intestinal disease such as inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), food intolerance/allergy, metabolic disease (i.e. liver disease, pancreas inflammation, etc.), kidney disease, hyperthyroidism, parasites, etc. These are some of the more common causes. IBD is a very common diagnosis in cats that have a chronic history of hair balls, so if that is Tooky's history then it is possible IBD is a diagnosis. This gets a little more complicated as gets age because intestinal lymphoma can also present in a very similar way as IBD. So now lymphoma is a differential. The only way to determine a diagnosis between IBD and intestinal lymphoma is with a biopsy of the intestines.

Tooky should have a blood panel and fecal exam performed to rule out some of the most common causes. If no cause is found then an ultrasound can look at the abdomen and the intestines and pancreas will be evaluated. If only the intestines are inflamed then a biopsy is ideally scheduled. Treatment should be with strong anti-nausea medications, possibly steroids, and a hypoallergenic (or at least a low fat) diet. Your veterinarian will have access to a stronger anti-nausea medication called Cerenia, but you could also use Pepcid as an over-the-counter option. It is not as strong, but it can sometimes be effective.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate very much a positive review. You may leave 1-5 stars. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian
Thank you so much. Will make an appointment Monday!!