Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He's 17, suddenly very tired and pooped himself. was

He's 17, suddenly very...

He's 17, suddenly very tired and pooped himself. was borderline renal.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?

Gandi

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Gandi?

17, on kidney food but no medication yet

9/16/2017
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Hi, to reiterate. My cat is 17, suddenly lethagic. Has pooped on floor a couple of times in past week ( not diarrhea). has some soft stool clumps on his rear. Is on kidney food. last blood tests borderline. trying to bring him into vet.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Gandi, please?

At his advanced age, there's rarely just one thing going on but there's a good chance that his borderline renal state has worsened. Cats don't become fecal incontinent ("pooped himself") unless quite ill and weakened. I would have Gandi attended to by a vet at your earliest convenience. He doesn't have the reserve of a much younger cat and so time is of the essence. I would expect his vet to perform a thorough physical exam including fasted diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. If you happen to have a copy of his most recent test results I would very much like to review them. You can upload them to your computer and give me the link to them or you can photograph them and send them as images by using the paperclip or add file icon above your message box.

Here were his last results in December:Ghandi's blood results are not looking too bad!We look at a few parameters to assess renal function. BUN, Creatinine and SDMA are three blood values. The BUN is norma for Ghandi. The creatinine is, by standards of the International Renal Interest Society, a bit elevated (from the lab, his value is within normal limits but IRIS has a slightly different standard for normal values which I stand more behind). His SDMA is slightly elevated as well. Relatively speaking, these slight increases are not too bad at all :)His calcium on his bloodwork is slightly elevated. There are a variety of reasons why we can see this elevated. The most reasonable explanation would be because of his kidney disease. Other possible reasons are parathyroid disease and sometimes cancer can cause this as well. It's a very slight elevation. At this point, what we could do is continue to monitor it or do a more specific test to look at his ionized calcium. If this is normal, then there is no need to evaluate things further. If it is elevated then we look further into evaluating for parathyroid disease via blood tests, or scan him with an abdominal ultrasound and chest x-rays to see if there are any signs of cancer. My suspicion in regards ***** ***** calcium is that it very likely is due to his kidney disease, which at this slight elevation we do not need to be too concerned with but definitely need to monitor. That being said, further tests would need to be done to confirm my suspicion.As for his urinalysis, his specific gravity (ie. the concentration of the urine) is a bit low which is what we see with kidney disease. There is some blood in his urine which I would say is from the sample collection (ie. using a needle to collect the sample from his bladder as sometimes a small vessel can bit hit with the needle resulting in this). I would say that this would need further probing if he was showing some abnormal urinary habits at home but I assume this is not the case as you have not mentioned anything of that nature. There is a very mild amount of protein in his urine which I very much would contribute that to the presence of blood as this often occurs when there is blood in the urine (whether it's truly there or due to the needle).His blood pressure is normal which is great!Given all the above, we would put Ghandi at stage II kidney disease (there are 4 stages).

Whoever wrote that is a keeper. It was beautifully written. A lot can happen in the 9 months following his visit in December. It represents almost 4 years in our lives. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I believe I just need to get him in ASAP Monday. He is drinking water and eating a bit. Definitely not himself.

Eating at all is a positive prognostic sign. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian