Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Second opinion] My male cat sherman got outside and got into…

Customer Question
Second opinion] My male...

Second opinion] My male cat sherman got outside and got into a fight with another cat. Now his eye is cut from the corner out a little toward his cheek and I am afraid it may get infected or effect his vision

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the cat bleeding a lot?

He was bleeding a little, but I cleaned it with a cat cleansing wipe and now it isnt really bleeding as much.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

His eye is swollen almost completely shut, his name is ***** ***** he is 1 year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sherman?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 day by:
9/18/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Denver ER Doc, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Denver ER Doc
Denver ER Doc, Veterinarian

Hi there, I apologize for the delay in response to your question.

Cat fight abscesses are particularly nasty and normally require antibiotics to heal appropriately. From your description, I am concerned that some level of laceration repair will also be required. Additional concerns are damage to the surface of the eye, particularly if it is now swollen shut.

This is not one that I would recommend trying to manage at home. In my experience, Sherman is going to need sedation, wound cleaning, staining of the surface of the eye to rule out corneal ulcer, and appropriate antibiotic and pain management.

If that is not an option, I would keep the area clean with warm washcloth regularly, warm pack it as able (clean sock filled with uncooked white rice, warmed in microwave to level comfortable on inside of your wrist), and monitor. I have significant concern for loss of vision, though.

I hope that answers your questions. I will be standing by if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Dr. Paul

I am a bit new getting back to this program. Did my reply make it through to you?

Dr. Paul

Hi there, checking back in to see if my reply made it through and to see if you need anything else?

Thanks,

Dr. Paul