Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My male cat sherman got outside and got into a fight with…

Customer Question
My male cat sherman...

My male cat sherman got outside and got into a fight with another cat. Now his eye is cut from the corner out a little toward his cheek and I am afraid it may get infected or effect his vision

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Is the cat bleeding a lot?

He was bleeding a little, but I cleaned it with a cat cleansing wipe and now it isnt really bleeding as much.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name and age?

His eye is swollen almost completely shut, his name is ***** ***** he is 1 year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sherman?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/16/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Is the cut only affecting the skin by his eye?

Any changes to the eyeball (ie clouding, hazing, ulcers, scratches, redness, etc)?

Any discharge from this eye? What color?

Can you take a photo of this to let me see what you are seeing? To post a photo, you can use the paper clip button on the tool bar above the text box. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web link here for me to have a peek.

That's my Facebook it's the first picture I posted on my page
Can you see them?

Just downloading them now.

Dr. B.

Okay please let me know if you think I need to take him to the vet or if it should heal up alright on it's own the vet it only open till noon and this cat is my baby I want him to be okay
He had his shots as a kitten but are there any shots I should take him to get bc he was scratched by a stray cat?

Poor Sherman!

Now from what I can see of the eye, it thankfully does look normal but he has quite a significant laceration to the conjunctvial tissue beside the eye. Now we rarely need to stitch these but we do have a high risk of infection. Therefore, we'd want to flush this 2-3 times daily with eye-safe sterile saline. This can be purchased over the counter as first aid eye wash or plain contact lens solution. As well, you could check the local farm supply store for OTC Terramycin eyedrops. We have to stick to eye based treatments since we cannot use topical skin creams so close to the eye itself. Though while his vaccinations don't need to be given just now, if this was likely a stray then we may need to think about having Sherman tested for FIV or feline leukemia virus (the main worries with this kind of contact). And if we did that then we could have his vet start kitty safe anti-inflammatories (ie Metacam) and antibiotics to just ensure this heals without issue.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

How do they test for feline leukemia virus? And will they know right away if he has it or will it take a few days to get results back?
I can buy the saline solution over the counter from Walmart or from a veterinarian themselves?

Hello again,

Usually vets have in-house tests (which use a blood sample) for both viruses and can check while you wait. And all the saline options I noted are over the counter so Walmart is fine. We just want to use one that is eye safe for him.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian