Dr. B.
Dr. B., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with a special interest in cats, happy to discuss any questions you have.
60269376

He is 14 and not eating as much as usual, was constipated

he is 14 and not eating as much as usual, was constipated this has got a bit better with food the vet has suggested he had blood tests all ok but now his back right leg has gone floppy, he doesnt seem to have control of it but can still walk with a limp, it is the same warmth as other limbs but doesnt respond when i tickle or touch his toes?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did the cat have a fall?
Customer: not that I have seen he is a house cat, but for a couple of years every so often he would get a twitch in that leg
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Rio
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rio?
Customer: just that he is old, still a little constipated but treating it

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has he been showing signs?

How long since he passed stool? Loose or hard?

Is he on any medications just now?

Any retching, gagging, lip licking, drooling, or vomiting?

Are his gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could he have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is now passing stools with the help of Miralax, they are lose, he doesnt seem in any pain he has not eaten anything harmful I will just go check his gums

Ok, I'll keep an eye for your check results.

Dr .B.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he really did not want me to see his gums, they are a pale pink they are moist
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he is also pooing just next to his litter tray not inside, but weeing will inside doesnt seem in any pain

Hello again,

I know its not a cat favourite to let us check but its good to hear they are pink and not white (an emergency sign). Now I am glad to hear his stools are more regular since appetite loss can be secondary to constipation. If we can put that aside, we'd have to be wary that at his age all the signs may be linked to an underlying issue (ie early stage kidney disease --unless his vet did an SDMA test on the bloods, metabolic disease, GI cancer, etc) or that our appetite loss could also be secondary to an opportunistic GI infection. And I'd note that in regards ***** ***** leg, if he has no feeling (sometimes we need to pinch the back toe to see if he reacts), that can be a sign of spinal issues (ie spinal abscesses, emboli, tumors, etc), pinched nerves (though those tend to be painful), or secondary to neuropathies (something we can see in cats with diabetes --but less likely if his vet did test for that).

Anyway, I have to say that if he has lost feeling in that leg, we may need his vet to trial anti-inflammatories to see if we can improve that for him. Or possibly xray (or MRI) to get to the root of that. That said, his appetite is the most important here since cats who don't eat well will lose weight but also can develop secondary liver issues. With that in mind, that is what we need to address. If his appetite is poor, you can ring his vet for an appetite stimulant (ie Mirtazapine) +/- anti-nausea medication. Any delay and you could try a small dose of OTC calcium carbonate (60mg ever 12 hours) or Milk of Magnesia (0.25tsp every 12 hours). Though if that isn't enough then again we'd want those stronger options from his vet.

Afterwards, you can consider starting an easily digestible diet like boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. Or if Rio cannot be tempted, we can offer or syringe feed watered down canned kitten food, Hill's A/D, Royal Canin Recovery, or Clinicare Canine/Feline Liquid Diet. All of these are critical care diets that are calorically dense, so a little goes a long way nutrition-wise

Finally, in regards ***** ***** litter box, older cats often do that with arthritic discomfort. So, fine litter (not pebbly) and low lipped litter boxes (so its easy to get in) can help with that. And as you manage his constipation, we'd hope he is more comfortable going so he doesn't feel he needs to go out of the box (often where they have better grip as they bear down)

Overall, his signs do raise some concerns here. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care. Though if we cannot get Rio more settled, then we'd want his vet to start those other treatments and reassess that leg so we can tackle this for him and get him back to feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

******************************************************************************

I aim to provide best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) as this is the only way I am credited for my work by the site & this allows me to continue to help here. This is included in your question fee. Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you. : )**

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you he is on the Royal Canin gastro intestinal wet food, he loved it for the first couple of days but now seems a little bored I will try the Hills ID as well as other suggestions, he eats better when I give him different things :) really appreciate your help have a lovley weekend

Hello again,

We can see that with kitties, so often its a case of compromise to make sure we feed what they will eat and what we'd like them to eat. So, try the above and if we can get him more settled, we could even use those to improve the flavour/excitement of the prescription diets with any of the above as needed.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.