Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He is just a real scratcher. He is ruining my furniture and…

Customer Question
He is just a...

He is just a real scratcher. He is ruining my furniture and my body. I am not at home enough really to train him not to scratch furniture. etc. Plus I have a 12 year old cat that is declawed so it is not fair in love and play.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?

I didn't say anything about fleas. MY question was about finding a place to get my cat declawed.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your cat?

He is a feisty young kitten and has come into a house that has a 12 year old cat that has been declawed so it is not fair in love and war. Also I am not home often enough to train him to stop scratching the furniture.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/16/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Technician replied 8 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. They question you are asking is a hard one becuase tere is no real way to train a cat not to use the claws, that is why so many peope have their cat declawed. That is frowned upon now, becuase the danger and pain involved. We do have an option that we found will help. They are a cap that goes over the nail and that are glued on to protect all that a cat or kitten will scratch. Eiter you or the Vet can apply them. The nails tips need to be trimmed and the caps applied They are good intil the nails grow out and then the procedure is repeated with the nail caps. This is some information on the nail caps: https://www.softpaws.com/questions-answers-cat/

The Soft Paws has various sizes and you can order them here: https://www.softpaws.com/soft-paws-cats/

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Hi Laurie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

I wanted to check and see if you have tried the soft paws nail caps on your cat.

I was hoping that this may resolve the scratching issue.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Technician