Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My kitty is about 16, with CRF, hyperthyroid and is really…

Hi! My kitty is...
Hi! My kitty is about 16, with CRF, hyperthyroid and is really at the point of 'at home hospice' now. She has been under great veterinary care for a long time and I'm pretty experienced with many cat issues. Erica Rose also had a mini-stroke last year, which she recovered from well. She is declining in health over the past two months, getting fragile and has ups and downs...but is still quite mentally strong and determined. A true torti 'cat-cat!' She seems content, no matter what and I would never allow her to suffer.
She may have had another small stroke a few days ago, and her walking is more difficult and wobbly. Our vet is not sure, and thinks it could be from kidneys worsening or arthritis. Pain meds did nothing. She also has a heart murmur (from 3 years hyperthyroid), but we decided to take the risk of giving her fluids, as she was dehydrated. We only gave 25 ml. and it didn't seem to harm her heart. We're thinking of giving her fluids weekly in small amounts. I also supplement her canned food with water, bring water and food to her and help her get around when needed. Still, she can get around on her own but is wobbly. I am hoping she will regain better mobility in time, as she did last year. She remains bright eyed and bossy! My question is:
One vet told me 'no fluids' and my other vet (same hospital) said to try limited fluids, knowing there is a slight risk to her heart.
Both are excellent, AAHA vets. Could I give her limited amounts of Pedialyte at home at this point? I have accepted we don't have a lot of time left but just want to make her as happy and comfortable as possible. Any suggestions are welcome!
Thank you,
Beth Greer
9/15/2017
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS AND DO NOT SEND THE REQUESTS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. It should be safe to give a small amount of fluids under the skin daily. Most of the fluid that you give under the skin disperses into the tissues. Less gets into the blood stream. Intravenous fluids are more of a concern because it all has to be dealt with by the heart, so you have to be more careful with intravenous fluids, but that isn't something you should be doing at home anyway. The Pedialyte is okay if you can get her to take it. If she fights you, though, I would just stop. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian