Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a litter of theee week old kittens. I noticed our…

Customer Question
I have a litter...

I have a litter of theee week old kittens. I noticed our little runt had some redness on her elbow

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the kitten?

She's not been a very strong eater so I bottle feed her to help mom supplement

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the kitten's name?

Today she is lethargic and the elbow is more swollen

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the kitten. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the kitten?

No that's basically it

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/15/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

An inflamed area causing lethargy will represent an abscess and fever in the great majority of these kittens. An inadvertent bite would by the queen is most often responsible. These need to be lanced and flushed by a vet and a systemic antibiotic is prescribed. Because of their immature immune system these abscesses can become quite large and life-threatening in kittens and so time is of the essence. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Okay. Just need confirmation that a trip to the vet is warranted. Thank you

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.