Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and has been…

Customer Question
My cat has been...

My cat has been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and has been prescribed medication to decrease the thyroid hormone level. During a recent check-up I was told the cat now has a "galloping heart" that was not observed earlier. Are the two conditions related in some way?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Timmy. He is about 14 or 15.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Timmy?

Only that he has slowly been losing weight, but at his recent check-up he weighed 12.25 pounds, slightly more than he weighed three weeks ago.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/15/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm sorry to hear of this with Timmy. The gallop rhythm is a dangerous one because it usually indicates advanced heart disease such as cardiomyopathy (heart muscle disease) in cats. Hyperthyroidism can cause cardiac changes such as that arrhythmia but it can also arise independent from hyperthyroidism. To better understand why it has arisen and how best to treat Timmy, a cardiac ultrasound (echocardiogram) is indicated. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian