Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a male cat, 7 years old who seems unable to urinate.

Customer Question
I suspect he has cystitis...
I have a male cat, 7 years old who seems unable to urinate. I suspect he has cystitis. We're camping in Cashmere, WA Anything I can do for him until morning when I can find a vet?
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/15/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Please let me know if you still need help. May I have an update on Gilbert, please?

When a male cat is stranguric - frequent attempts to urinate little or no urine - and perhaps licks his genitals excessively, idiopathic cystitis (FUS, FLUTS) must be the most important consideration and this inflammation of the bladder can cause abundant amounts of both mucus and grit to form in the bladder which can ball up and form tiny plugs of material which then block the small diameter urethra in these male cats. This, then, describes the classic "blocked cat" and a cat that can't urinate for as little as 36 hours will go into renal failure. It's essential that Gilbert be checked by an on-call vet at your earliest convenience. If he is blocked, he'll need to be catheterized and have his bladder emptied. The catheter is usually kept in place for 24 hours and then removed to see if my patient is now able to urinate freely.

Hi Nancy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gilbert. How is everything going?