Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I administered Hartz Flea Ointment on my cat around 11-13…

Customer Question
I administered Hartz Flea...

I administered Hartz Flea Ointment on my cat around 11-13 hours ago. He is acted somewhat lethargic, now sitting in one place, and seems to be slightly agitated. I googled it, and many people say that Hartz fatally affected their cats.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help your cat. What is the cat's name and age?

Symptoms of poisoning aren't really present, as he is eating what I feed him from my hand, but he is still definitely acting odd. My cat's name is ***** ***** he is around 18 months old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Pablo?

No, not unless the Veterinarian has an interest in mind.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
He is acting somewhat normal now, but I am still worried that he can get sick over the next few days. How worried should I be and what behaviors should I look for?
9/15/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Joan, Vet Tech replied 11 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. What you have read about Harz flea treatments is true. I suggest getting it off of Pablo. To do this give him a bath in warm water and Blue Dawn Dish soap. This will break down the oils and get it off. Wash well and rinse well. If he shows and signs of problems please get him into the Vet. These Flea treatments in my opinion should not be sold for Cats. Pyrtehrins and Permethrins are what is toxic to cats. Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Wanted to check in on Pablo. Wee you able to wash the Hartz off Pablo? How is he doing?

Joan