Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

If a 6 month old kitten is stricken with feline parvo, do…

Customer Question
If a 6 month old...
If a 6 month old kitten is stricken with feline parvo, do they continue to get sicker and sicker with each passing day? Thank you, Don
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
The reason that I ask is because our 6 month old kitten was taken to our Vet last Friday. She had a fever of 104.2 and watery diarrhea. We were told that it could possibly be feline parvo. The kitten has previously had a rabies and 3 distemper shots. We were given doxy and metro for the runny bowels. We were told on Friday that if it was Parvo we would know by Monday, as she would progressively get worse. To our surprise, by Sunday she was fully recovered and you would never know she was even sick. She continued to be in great shape on Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday. I'm telling you that for a total of 4 days she was her old self again. Then, late on Wednesday she became very chatty and meowing a lot. We were sitting in the living room and she would run to my wife and talk. Then, run back across the room to where I was sitting and talk to me. She finally calmed down and fell asleep in my wife's arms. On Thursday, she began drooling heavily after the metro dose. She continued to eat and drink well but would meatloaf after she ate a meal. It was like her stomach was upset after she ate the meal. This would last about 30 minutes and then she would be fine. We thought possibly the doxy or metro was affecting her stomach and making her nauseous. This happened throughout the day on Thursday but there was no vomiting or diarrhea. Then, late Thursday evening she was hungry and ate a good meal. About an hour later she was in the chair with my wife and was having some blank stares. She got up to run and my wife grabbed her. My wife held her by the neck and she then had a seizure that lasted about 20 seconds. We are now totally confused and are wondering if she had a toxic reaction to the Metro. If she had Parvo on Friday, how did she return to good health by Sunday and have 4 straight days of wellness? To the point that you would never know she was recently sick. Also, she continued to eat everyday and even ate a meal one hour before the seizure took place. Again, we are baffled and very upset. Did the Parvo take a 4 day vacation and then return? Or, is the seizure related to the Metro? Please respond and thank you, Don
9/15/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Panleukopenia (parvovirus) shouldn't be a consideration in a well-vaccinated kitten who went into remission in 4 days. Another virus, bacterium, or perhaps ingested toxin should be considered in such a patient. Metronidazole does have seizures on its adverse effect list but this is more commonly seen in overdoses. I would discontinue all oral medications at this time and, of course, alert Danni's vet to what you've witnessed. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.