Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a 9 year old cat that i noticed has been excessively…

Customer Question
Hi there - I...

Hi there - I have a 9 year old cat that i noticed has been excessively licking her belly. I went to pet her and she has a large swollen area on the lower half of her belly. I don't know if it's a swollen mammary gland or what but it's about the size of a plum. She meowed alot when I touched it so i think it is painful

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?

Boots

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Boots?

She's 9 years old, i just had her checked out in July (annual exam). Except for throwing up every once in a while, she's very active and almost kitten like still

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did Boots eat anything unusual?

She does go outside so it's possible

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/15/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Cat Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Are you able to take a picture of the swelling? Is she spayed? Does she spend anytime outside?

Hello - she is spayed. She's an indoor/outdoor cat - she typically spends 4-6 hours a day outside.
I will try to take a picture but she is very hesitant for me to touch the area.

Okay I definitely understand if she won't let you take a picture. Has she ever been in a fight when outside.

she actually did get into a fight with a neighboring cat a couple of nights ago, but there were no obvious scratches, bite wounds, etc.

Okay thanks for the picture. It is kind of blurry but what I can make out of it, it looks highly suspicous of an abscess that has formed. If she got into a fight a couple of nights ago then that makes it a very strong possibility. Some cats can just have a small wound that heals quickly which can easily turn into an abscess. If that is the case then she will need to be put on antibiotics and that area may need to be lanced.

let me know if you have any further questions

One of her nipples was in the picture. I also noticed the area is very warm to the touch and her nose is dry and warm/hot. I think I will drop her off at vet first thing in the morning

Yes if it is warm to the touch then I more convinced it is a abscess. Let me know if you have any further questions

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne