Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I dont have a cat but my friends flea ridden dog visited…

Customer Question
I dont have a...

I dont have a cat but my friends flea ridden dog visited about 6 times at the end of july. I only got two bites to start with, but in the last two weeks ive been getting more and more bites. Can flea eggs live on human clothes in the same way they live on animals, or is there not so many eggs due to animals being furry?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?

Wilf the dog, dunno his age, but he no longer has fleas as vet treated him however they are multiplying in my flat and i wonnder if i am spreading their eggs around my flat in my clothing

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Is it a kitten or an adult?

Adult dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dunno?

I havent been able to bathe for a couple of weeks due to illness, i get more and more bites every day, there are no animals in my flat, just that visit 6-7 times at the end of july, i am just worried that I have spread eggs around the flat in my clothing

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/14/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that you are battling fleas after a friend's dog came to your home and brought them into you home.

First realize that only 5% of the flea population live on the pet, the rest is in the environment as eggs and developing larvae. The adult fleas that the dog had produced hundreds of eggs and those were dropped off into your flat wherever the pup roamed.

As new flea larvae develop and hatch out they would prefer to jump on and feed from animals, but if no animals are present they will take a human blood meal. As you walk around your flat those fleas will drop off eggs everywhere you go.

You need to vacuum your home throughly to remove as many eggs and larvae as possible. Concentrate on cracks and crevices, along baseboards, under furniture and areas where they like to sleep and eggs and larvae are at their highest numbers. Vacuum daily and throw away the bag.

I also recommend treating the home environment with a product that has an adulticide (kills adult fleas) as well as an insect growth regulator to stop egg and larvae from developing. A great product is Siphotrol II Plus Premise spray. I like it because it has an insect growth regulator as well as an adulticide. You can spray it under furniture and into cracks crevices and along baseboards where fleas and their offspring hide. It should be used every 2 weeks and no vacuuming for 2 to 3 days after using it to allow it to settle in. Here is a link to show you the product: http://www.amazon.com/Siphotrol-Plus-Premise-Spray-16oz/dp/B000RGKX7M

The trouble with foggers is that they don't go under furniture or penetrate cracks and crevices so they just aren't effective where they need to be. And they end up in the air where they are nasal irritants for animals and people alike.

Your other option is to have a professional exterminator treat your home. Ask for a guarantee and make sure that the products have an adulticide and an insect growth regulator.

The key with flea treatment is consistency, not stopping too quickly, and using effective products.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for with your home flea treatment. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****