Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

She is subdued and not playing as much. She is wandering…

Customer Question
She is subdued and...

She is subdued and not playing as much. She is wandering into corners to hide and sleep. She is 10 weeks old and had her first vaccination 5 days ago but she had been fine until today.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name?

Bubble

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bubble?

Her right eye closes more quickly than the left, and when not hiding she is seeking me out for naps. Could she have worms? I am confused as to how often kittens need to be wormed.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/14/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Any coughing, sneezing, vomiting or diarrhea?

How is her appetite?

No coughing, sneezing or diarrhoea. She is eating slightly less than normal but I changed her food (her usual was unavailable).

Thanks for the information. My thought is that she may be starting to run a fever. That could be from the start of an upper respiratory infection. I cannot rule out a potential gastrointestinal problem. If she is having an upset stomach and vomiting from a change in diet, she may be feeling bad enough to hide. If you can take her temperature rectally with a digital thermometer, that may help. Easier said that done, though. If above 102.5, she may be running a fever. Worms can cause lethargy if there anemia and gastrointestinal symptoms associated with it. If she hasn't had a fecal exam, that would be a good idea to run. We normally deworm kittens every 2 weeks, starting at 4 weeks of age for 3-4 doses, but not all intestinal parasites are worms. Some are protozoal, so checking a fecal exam is important. It doesn't sound like an emergency situation at this point, and her symptoms may be better by tomorrow. If her symptoms are not better by tomorrow, or if she is getting worse at any time; I would have your vet check her out for sure. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Do you have an answer please?
I am not sure what you are referring to. I did provide an answer over 1.5 hours ago. Did you have other questions or concerns I can help you with?
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how Bubble is doing and to see if you have any other questions.