Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

She stopped eating and drinking and now skin and bone and I

she stopped eating and drinking and now skin and bone and I am worried
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: she is 15 years old and she her litter box and food is in the basement, she stopped coming up the stairs. She hides in the basement so I always makes sure she has food and water and litter box. she stopped using the litter box and just does it on the floor

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. Her symptoms are very concerning to me as well. With an older cat, though, there could be a lot of things that cause these symptoms. It could be kidney failure, diabetes, hyperthyroidism (often in conjunction with kidney failure), liver problems or cancer. If not eating for over 3 days, then she will be at risk for a serious liver problem called hepatic lipidosis. My best advice is to get her to your vet to run some blood work to see what is going on. It is possible, though, that her condition may be too advanced for any treatment to make a big difference. Her quality of life may be bad enough to where you may need to consider euthanasia as well. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how your cat is doing and to see if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had to put her down, the vet said her condition, most likey kidney failure was too advance with her age, she was 15 yrs old. She live a long life and did not want her to continue in pain. Thank you for the advice

I am very sorry to hear that. I was concerned that it could be something serious like that. My condolences go out to you and your family. Please let me know if you need anything else.