Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He is a cat and he is having a upper respiratory infection…

Customer Question
He is a cat...

He is a cat and he is having a upper respiratory infection and needs antibiotics

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infections the cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?

Hemi and he is 10

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hemi?

He has suffered all his life with colds and what not due to his abandonment in winter as a kitten

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/14/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian

Hello, I am Dr. Nicole and I will try to help you through this situation. I am sorry that Hemi is not feeling well. I am working on a solution and will be back with you soon....

Thank you

So obviously over the internet without an exam, I am unable to prescribe antibiotics, but I will can make some suggestions that might help Hemi through this situation.

Is Hemi eating and drinking normally?

Any change in drinking- less or more?

Here are some at home things that are important for any cat that is showing signs of an upper respiratory infection:

1. Ensure eating and drinking well. Extra moisture/fluids are always good so either adding water to the food or providing canned food. Keep it simple. You do not want to add so many things that he gets diarrhea. It is important to ensure that he is staying hydrated though.

2. L-Lysine- This is a supplement that can help with the viral component of the disease- assuming we are dealing with an upper respiratory infection. This is certainly something that he could stay on long term that could potential help his immune system and possibly decrease the frequency of infections. You should be able to get it at a pet store or online.

3. Antibiotic- Typically I would recommend doing a liquid antibiotic such as clavamox drops if the infection is severe enough. I obviously can not prescribe anything for you, but I would start with the L-lysine, as it can be very helpful in many cases.

4. Nebulization- If Hemi is really congested you can put him in a steamy bathroom or get a vaporizer and put him in a small room to help clear out his sinuses.

5. Cleaning- Keep eyes and nose clean with a warm cloth. Cats rely on the their sense of smell for eating so if they are too congested, I worry about a decrease in eating and drinking.

Obviously if he is not improving, you should take him in to your veterinarian to get antibiotics.

Long term- if he truly does have residual viral respiratory disease that flares up, there is a new modified live intranasal feline upper respiratory vaccine that many infectious disease specialists recommend trying in these cats with chronic disease. It is given as a series of 2 doses spaced 1 month apart and has been shown to decrease the frequency of infection. Not all veterinary hospitals carry it though. It can be used in the midst of an infection- although you may not see improvement immediately from the vaccine, but it is the long term effects that are the most important.

Also, if he is really sick, this is something that could be considered after he is feeling better.

Please let me know if you have any more questions and/or if I have answered all of your questions.

I want to help in anyway that I can!!

Sincerely,

Dr. Nicole

I know that this is a difficult situation, but please let me know if you have further questions or concerns. If not and

you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated and it is how we as experts are recognized and compensated.

Have a great day and please keep me posted on how things are going.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

Dr. Nicole

I was just wondering if you had time to review the information and if you had any questions.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian