Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Growls and bites himself and falls over while peeing, Felix,

Customer Question
Growls and bites himself...

Growls and bites himself and falls over while peeing

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name and age?

Felix, 17 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Felix?

He is on a thyroid medication

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/14/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Denise, Cat Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Denise
Dr. Denise, Cat Veterinarian

Hi. I’m Dr. Denise, a licensed veterinarian. I’d like to help with your concerns regarding Felix.

A few questions to better understand his condition:

When did the growling/biting behavior begin?

Have you been able to observe him actually passing urine? Is he having full size urine clumps in the box?

A common and concerning condition in male cats is urinary obstruction. The flow of urine can be reduced or completely blocked due to spasms, mucus, crystalline debris or stones.

I am very concerned about Felix, as his aggression and discomfort in the litter box may be a sign of painful or blocked urinations.

I recommend having him seen by your veterinarian as soon as possible today, as a urinary blockage can lead to a toxic condition as toxins accumulate in his body.

I wish Felix all the best.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to answer all the questions you have. If you have no other questions, I would greatly appreciate your positive review (5 stars). Your review helps connect Experts with other customers so your input is highly appreciated, and it is the only way that I am compensated. Thank you!

Hi, it's Dr. Denise. Just checking in on Felix. How is he doing?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Denise Cudiamat