PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My 16 year old cat has always peed outside her liter box (on

Customer Question

My 16 year old cat has always peed outside her liter box (on beds, clothing on the floor) and will go in the liter box but not exclusively. She's been seen at the vet everytime this behavior gets worse and she has not health issues related to this. She has been moved over the past 2 years 3 times *one a long distance move* and she gets worse after each move. Recently my brother moved in with me who's she's known her who life and she's getting even worse. I've tried confining her but she manages to get out each time. My brother wants me to put her in a dog kennel to confine her for good. what should I do
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Tiny
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tiny?
Customer: She's been doing this since we got her around age 1 as an outdoor cat... she prefers to be outdoors but I live in an apartment so it's not an option
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Is she declawed?
2) What medications have been tried?
3) What diagnostics have been performed?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not declawed
She's been on kitty Prozac that didn't work
They have done a kidney check and blood work. All came back fine

Was a urinalysis also done?

How long was the prozac used?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
they checked her urine. She recently became very ill not eating and they checked everything and said she had a low iron deficiency. She took iron supplements and got better.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Prozac was used for about a year with no change in behavior

Perfect. Has your vet tried any other medication aside from the prozac?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no

Before going with your brother's idea to completely kennel her away to prohibit her behavioral problems, I would talk to your vet about trying a different behavioral medication. Just as with treating humans with such medications, the first one we select may not be the one that works. Others options exist on the market from elavil to Paxil. We do recommend at least 4-6 months on the medication before deciding if it works, so you've done what was needed when using the prozac. Now it will simply be trying other medication to see if it helps. I would also consider a feliway calming pheromone diffuser for your home, if not already being used, to help lower stress (petsmart carries these) and you might also consider a diet switch to a food meant to induce a sense of relaxation such as Royal Canin's Calm food: https://www.royalcanin.com/products/royal-canin-veterinary-diet-feline-calm-dry-cat-food/3955

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Tiny?

Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 30 days ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy