Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My daughter called me to say that her cat has been throwing

up and has lost all...
my daughter called me to say that her cat has been throwing up and has lost all the hair on her ears, plus her lip is swollen
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the cat eat anything unusual?
Customer: No, and she is also a indoor cat
JA: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: her name is ***** ***** is around 5 or 6
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mia?
Customer: We live in Houston, and she had to stay in my garage during the storm , (harvey). we did not get flooded so that wasnt a problem......
9/14/2017
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. At this point, it is very difficult to say if the hair loss, swollen lip and vomiting are all related. If they are, then it would most likely be an allergy to something. Cats can get a swollen, ulcerated lip, called a rodent ulcer, due to environmental, flea (most common) and food allergies. It is also possible that he ingested something, has a foreign body obstruction, has a liver/kidney/pancreatic problem or has developed inflammatory bowel disease. I would have her get Mia to her nearest vet to get evaluated and get blood work done. They may want to get an x-ray of the abdomen. At the very least, I would be treating her with steroids (assuming blood work normal), anti-nausea medication and antibiotics. If the ears are itchy, it could be an allergy or mite infection. If not, then ringworm or immune mediated problem are possible. If there are no skin lesions, crusting, scaling or redness on the ears; it may not be a serious issue that needs to be dealt with at this time. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Thank you so much, I will pass on this info!
Personally, I appreciate all the diff possibilities!

You are very welcome. Let me know if you have further concerns.

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian