Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat has lost a lot of weight but won't stop eating. He

Customer Question
My cat has lost a...
My cat has lost a lot of weight but won't stop eating. He has even recently eaten his own feces. He has diarrhea, some soft stool, and all he thinks about is food.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Tut 11yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your cat?
Customer: He has had some steroid shots but the effects did not last and prednisone.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/14/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Tut. Such polyphagic (increased hunger) cats who nevertheless have lost weight are either diabetic, hyperthyroid, or both. Less commonly, they've lost the ability to digest or absorb their food efficiently. Tut's vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam including fasted blood and urine tests. You should know within 24 hours how Tut might be helped. Diabetic cats are insulin-dependent. Most hyperthyroid cats are prescribed either oral or transdermal methimazole. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Is diarrhea also a part of those symptoms?

Yes, it can be. Diarrhea is a nonspecific sign but is seen with the hypermotility of the GI tract caused by hyperthyroidism. If Tut were diabetic I might find that he also suffers from pancreatitis which can result in diarrhea. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian