Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

I have a older cat with tumors in her ears. The vet I took

Customer Question
I have a older cat...
I have a older cat with tumors in her ears. The vet I took her too was very frustrated because he could not even try to give me any kind of suggestion. He just threw up his hands. I have been treating her ears with colloidal silver and putting do Terra Helicrysum/coconut oil around the outside of her ears. Her ears really smell horrible and are bloody which she shakes everywhere, however, she is fine with her appetite and I also add some drops of colloidal silver to her food and apply do Terra IMMORTELLE to the pads of her feet and around her ears daily. Please help me if you can. She is very sweet and affectionate and I have had her and two of her siblings for quite a few years. I can't really remember how old she is.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the cat?
Customer: She is a Tuxedo black and white short hair. I love all of my cats and dogs so much and do not want to lose her, but, I simply cannot just put her down when she eats and interacts with me.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/14/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Can you upload a photo(s) of these tumors to our conversation? You can upload photos by using the paperclip or add file icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see those icons on your particular device) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. Are they multiple blue fluid filled cystic masses on the concave pinna (ear flap) which would represent ceruminous cystomatosis?

I am very technically challenged in adding pictures because I am using a new computer and am not really adept at all the things available. The tumors are not on the ear flap; they are in the ear itself and the name of this cancer starts with a C, but I am also moving into my new home office and cannot find the slip of paper to be able to tell you. Her sample was sent to A&M Vet school in College Station to find out what it was. The senior vet here that I was using just threw up his hands when he got the response back from A&M. I can try to call this vet clinic and ask if it would be helpful. Minxie (my cat) keeps scratching at these tumors and shaking blood everywhere. I am so sad to not be able to help her. Again she is eating and in every other way she is acting in a normal way. Of course she watches ne carefully to see if I am going to pick her up to treat her.

I understand. See if you find the biopsy report or at least the name of the cancer. I'm helpless to advise without knowing what she's facing. There's no charge to return to our conversation at your convenience. I have to leave my computer for a few hours but promise to reply as soon as I return if need be.

am I going to have to wait unending hours (like yesterday) for an answer?

See if you can find out the type of cancer. Otherwise I'm helpless in knowing how she might be helped. You can return to our conversation at your convenience without incurring an extra charge. I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

I have to leave my computer for a few hours but promise to reply as soon as I return if need be.

The name of the cancer is: Sublingual Adenocarcinoma!!

Sublingual means under the tongue. Are you being told that a cancer under her tongue has metastasized to her ears? Something doesn't make sense here...

I am recalling right now to the Vet who gave me the results and his asst is the one who gave me that info. I thought it was incorrect when they told me this morning. I am on hold with them right now

I'll watch for your next post.

The Vet has left work already and will not be back in the office again until Monday morning. I will work through the paperwork on my desk and find the paper it was written on!!
I cannot believe that they have not updated their records, but, I hope I can find the paper with the A&M response. They are insisting that what I gave youearlier is what is in her ears. She has no problems in hermouth at all. She is eating just fine twice daily. This is the hardest thing I have worked on in a very long time.

Unless there's an adenocarcinoma in her mouth, the tumors in her ears aren't sublingual adenocarcinomas. I'll watch for your next post.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian