Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling,
Experience:  Veterinary Surgeon at Tameside Veterinary Clinic
97222438

Marley is having anxiety issues; he is washing and

Customer Question

Marley is having anxiety issues; he is washing and scratching obsessively. My vet gave him a shot of cortisone and one of antibiotics, and is ordering liquid amitriptyline as he doesn't do pills very well. Is an antidepressant a good idea?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Marley is 6-7 years old, he doesn't have fleas, he has anxiety.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Marley?
Customer: We tried pills before, but it made him more stressed. It has recently escalated as we are planning a big move. I also have 4 other cats; Marley just moved in one winter, we knew nothing about him before that.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Richard Rawling replied 1 month ago.

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

This is a common presentation for multi cat households and he may be more stressed as you are preparing for the move. Amitryptylline can be very useful in these ases and I would be keen for you to give it a try. There are some other measures you can take to try and minimise Marley`s stress.

Use of plug in pheromone diffusers such as Feliway can help. These should be placed in the area where Marley spends most of his time for best effect.
There is also a supplement called Zylkene which can be effective and is best used in combination with Feliway.
It is a milk protein extract and works by promoting a feeling of contentment - think a young kitten with a belly full of milk after a good long feed.