Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
97381174

My cat is dragging his back side on the floor. I believe

My cat is dragging his back side on the floor. I believe that is a sign of worms. Am I correct? If so, what is the treatment?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your cat can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** we believe he is about 13. He was a stray but we've had since he was a kitten. He is an indoor cat that only goes out on our balcony.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Finnegan?
Customer: No. I thinke that's about it.

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand your cat is scooting on the ground. I am curious if you have observed small white flakes on her rectum or hair that may resemble grains of rice? Also, can you please tell me if you know if Finnegan has ever had a history of fleas?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I haven't seen either the flakes or rice. He gets brush almost every evening. No he has never had fleas.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is the $28 dollars on top of the $31. I already paid?

There should be no added fees. If there was a request for a phone call please disregard unless you would like to chat by phone. That is automatically offered by the website, but I can answer your question with just text if you prefer. I am typing my response now.

Thank you for the added information about the flakes and fleas. A common cause for scooting in cats is either parasites (as you stated) or impacted anal sacs. Tapeworms are the most common cause of parasite that will cause scooting and they appear as small white flakes that may resemble grains of white rice. They usually will be found sitting near the anus.

Impacted anal sacs is another issue that can affect some cats. These are located at approximately 7:00 and 4:00 positions below the anus. Occasionally they can get impacted with fluid and be painful. This results in a scooting behavior to help soothe. If this is the case then the best thing to do is to have them expressed. If they are impacted and the fluid is unable to get out, then the anal sac can eventually rupture. This is not a dangerous situation, but it is typically uncomfortable and will require antibiotic treatment. If the anal sacs are able to be expressed then that can prevent the rupture.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate very much a positive review. You may leave 1-5 stars. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ThanK you for this information. I will see if he continues and watch him for the other symptoms. How do I contact you with any other questions?

This text thread will stay open for another 3-4 days. If it closes then you can request me specifically by contacting Customer Service. You can still give a rating and that will not close this chat box. I will still remain available to help.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
***** *****