Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling,
Experience:  Veterinary Surgeon at Tameside Veterinary Clinic
97222438

My vet said my 16 year old cat who has never been sick

Customer Question

My vet said my 16 year old cat who has never been sick started drinking and peeing all day and she said after blood he had renal kidney cease and put him on a appitite inhancer then he started gaining weight and stopped pooping except every three days and she put him on dry food pretty soon no matter how much cat lax I gave him he only pooped every three or four days and very thump like size and would did and dig then go a couple of thump size poop outside the box and around the house he has gotten fat and now I feed him wet food with water. I am affaire he is going to die!! He is 16 years old this has been going on two or three weeks
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know what to do. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Buddy
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buddy?
Customer: No he has never been sick for 16 years and has been to vet for shots
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Richard Rawling replied 1 month ago.

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Are you saying his stools are small and firm and he struggles to pass them?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What is your answer??

It sounds like he may be a little constipated. You can add 1-2ml of food grade mineral oil to his food twice daily and this can help lubricate the passage of feces through his digestive system. This can happen with any diet change and can simply reflect an upset in the balance of his digestive tract.

However, it can be seen with cats with dehydration which can often be seen in cats with renal failure. Is Buddy peeing more than usual?