Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

I have a male cat, 10 years old who has lost 9 pounds in…

Customer Question
I have a male...

I have a male cat, 10 years old who has lost 9 pounds in around 2 months. He has changed not only in size but barely walking, can no longer jump up on our bed, very lethargic, runny eyes, sneezing a week ago but that has stopped. Took him to the Vet a month ago for a UA plus a full blood work up. The only thing they found was a slightly elevated white blood count. He looks and acts as though he is dying.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?

He has been on a special prescription cat food called "c/d" but has quit eating it. He has been eating a little bit of moist food (1 Tablespoon of moist, twice a day). He is using litter box, but not interested in water this evening. Has had urinary track issues in the the last three years.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
I'm not as concerned about his lethargy because he has been pretty obese most of his adult life. He was rescued from a kitty mill when he was only around 4 weeks old and has always thought he was starving! Other vets have told me he would always be that way because of the way he was neglected as a newborn. It's alarming he has lost so much weight in such a short time (26 pounds to 16 a month ago) and I'm sure he is down another couple pounds. His eye's run contantly, he's not grooming himself, and stagers around when he walks anywhere, plus does not walk far without stopping. When he was congested a couple weeks ago he was really having trouble breathing. Because both of my cats are indoor cats much of the time they have not had feline leukemia shots! So I'm wondering if this is his problem. The local vet is so busy they want to put off his appointment until Monday and I hate to see my cat suffer all week and week-end. I want to get to the bottome of this or decide to put him to sleep so he won't suffer. He's afraid of his own shadow since he was picked by an big barn owl when he was 5 months old. So I hate to put him through a bunch of tests. I just was hoping for some direction other than another set of blood tests, etc.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/13/2017
Cat Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 11 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share a copy of the bloodwork and other diagnostic results most recently obtained?