Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

My cat started licking her lips tonight. She does have for

many years a irritable tummy...
My cat started licking her lips tonight. She does have for many years a irritable tummy but nothing else. She is walking around , did jump tonight before this to the top of our credenza but now is sleeping. I have been ill all day- dizzy- could she be reacting to me or a tooth problem suddenly or upset stomach?
9/13/2017
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian

Thank you for your question. I will try to help you through this.

There are a number of reasons why a cat might lick her lips and you made a couple of good suggestions. Yes, sometimes a dental problem can cause a pet to lick excessively, but I would say more commonly upset stomach. Might sound strange, but some pets will also lick excessively if they are itchy. Does she have any skin issues or appear to be excessively grooming herself?

So overall, how has she been feeling? Has she been eating and drinking well? Any decrease or increase in drinking?

Has she had any vomiting episodes leading up to this or do you have her stomach issues pretty well under control?

My suggestion to you would be to monitor her closely for progression of these signs. If you are able to slowly and safely examine her mouth to see if you can see anything, that would be helpful also.

Ensure that she is willing to eat and drink and that she is not having any vomiting episodes.

If the problem does not seem to be resolving and you feel like there is an overall change in her demeanor, activity and eating and drinking habits, then I would suggest having her examined. There are so many reasons why a cat can become nauseated (if that is the problem) and the list increases with age. So what was just an upset stomach could develop into something else if there is another issue. In older cats, I start to get more concerned about things like kidney disease, hyperthyroidism etc. These conditions can all cause upset stomach. Now obviously if the problem resolved itself and she is doing fine, then don't worry, but if she continues to act abnormal, then best to have her evaluated.

No vomiting no itching. She does have a sensitive stomach over the years and once a few year ago drooled and we took her to the emergency vet who did tests and said she had an upset stomach and gave her Pepcid. This was 3 years ago. Nancy appeared in good health all day till about an hour ago. I am stressed because one of my other cats had died last week from a massive thrombosis from a congenital heart problem. I may be over reacting but love Nancy and want to keep her well
Thank you for your response. I will keep checking and see if she eats and drinks ok and if she continues to be lip licking I will take her to the vet

Okay, I understand. I don't think that you are over reacting at all. And I am so sorry about your other cat. That is a very unfortunate situation and is not extremely common. I also don't think that she is responding to your illness, which I am very sorry about as well.

If you feel like it would stress her out to much to try to examine her mouth now, then don't worry about it.

You certainly can try to give her 5 mg of pepcid AC if you have some. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. The tough thing is medicating her, unless she is pretty agreeable and easy to medicate.

You can also try to give her a small amount of soft food. Something that you know will not upset her stomach, to see if that helps at all.

To ease your worry, this does not sound like a life threatening issue. Things are always worse when you yourself are not feeling well and then you just went through a very traumatic time with your other pet.

I would just keep her comfortable tonight. Offer some food and pepcid if you can. See how she is doing in the morning and it not improved, then have her evaluated.

Please keep me posted. I really do like to her how things are going.

I always appreciate the follow up.

If I have answered all of your questions and you are satisfied with my assistance, a 5 star rating is always appreciated and is how we as experts are recognized and compensated. Even after the rating, this conversation will stay open for approximately a week and you can contact me if you have any questions or concerns.

Get well soon. My thoughts are with you.

Sincerely,

Dr. Nicole

Nicole the vet is excellent very good advice and really compassionate

Thank you so much. Good night and rest well.

High rating of 5 top rating

I appreciate that very much. Not sure how it looks on your end, but there should be a way for you to complete the rating or accept the answer to the question. It really helps us experts out if the discussion is completed. Again, we can still continue our conversation.

Thanks again.

Dr. N

I Just wanted to check in and see how you are doing this morning and how Nancy is doing. I hope

that you are both feeling a better.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Dr. N

My cat Nancy is fine- all perfect- thank you for being a great vet and helping me

Thank you so much for the update! So glad that she is doing well.

Have a good day!

Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole
Dr. Nicole, Cat Veterinarian