Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

We have a 5 year old cat whose has an allergy have taken her…

Customer Question
We have a 5...

We have a 5 year old cat whose has an allergy have taken her to the vet twice for steroid shots but the redness/itching keeps coming back any suggestions would be welcomed Thank you

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the cat's name?

Maggie is her name I have given her revolution for the last few years without any problems

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maggie?

No she is in very good health I did try the new clump litter so I went back to the tidy cat litter thinking that could be the problem but she is still itching/scratching I hate to keep giving her shots just wondering if there is anything I can do for her feel so bad for her, she does go outside but just on our deck she does not go far as she is kind of skittish

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/13/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian replied 9 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Maggie has a chronic history of itching and scratching. She is currently on Revolution for fleas. Can you please tell me if the itching is concentrated on any particular parts of the body (i.e. tail base, abdomen, neck, ears, etc.)?

she itches in abdomen area and it is quite red
itches in the abdomen area
she itches mostly in the abdomen area

Thank you for that information. It is important to point out that a cat that itches/licks excessively in the abdomen area is likely feeling pain within the abdomen. Although pain in the skin can be caused by allergies, other things affecting the skin or deeper inside the abdomen is important to consider. Cats rarely get allergies, so that is a differential lower on the list. Fleas are more common in cats, but it sounds like you have that under control with the application of Revolution. Other things could be mites or a fungal skin infection (i.e. ringworm). Mites are also treated with Revolution, so I doubt it is that either.

More common are things that are painful underneath he skin inside the abdomen. In this case I am talking about intestinal pain or bladder pain, which are both common in cats. Intestinal pain can be due to dietary intolerance / food allergy, inflammatory bowel disease, parasites, foreign body, liver/pancreas inflammation, etc. If there is a history of sporadic episodes of vomiting hair balls then that is supportive of an intestinal disorder. Bladder pain is also something that should be considered because cystitis (i.e. bladder inflammation) is a common condition that can be caused by stress/anxiety, bacteria, or crystals in the urine.

The next thing that should be done is to assess for any possible causes of skin pain that have not been addressed such as the skin mites or fungal organisms, but likely, look deeper at the underlying organs inside the body. The first place to start is with a blood and urine panel. If no causes of inflammation are found then a possible ultrasound of the abdomen, +/- biopsy of the intestines will be needed to rule out intestinal pain. There is no blood marker for the intestines unfortunately, so inflammation in this area needs to be assessed with a biopsy. However, an index of suspicion can be raised based on the history of vomiting hair balls.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate very much a positive review. You may leave 1-5 stars. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Paula,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Scott Perry