Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
97381174

My cat has suddenly gone blind. He had squamous cell

My cat has suddenly gone blind. He had squamous cell carcinoma removed with clear margins in March. But the one lymph node removed had traces of microscopic cancer cells. After healing he started chemo of carboplatin. He has had 5 sessions out of 6. He developed an ulcer in the eye on the side of surgery where his cheek, lower jaw and eye socket was removed. His eye sits in a specially created hammock. I took him to my own vet last Monday and he was given Exocin and remend for the ulcer. By Thursday his vision was very compromised. I took him back to the vet on Friday and they confirmed he could hardly see. His blood pressure was fine. Called the oncology hospital and they agreed to see him on Saturday. The surgeon said it is very rare for squamous cell carcinoma to spread to the brain. We were sent to an eye specialist immediately. He performed various tests and said his optic nerves were very inflamed. But that there is a very big possibility that there was a tumour behind the eye as when he pushed it in it didn't bounce back (this is the eye sitting on a hammock/cradle) He said it was a grave diagnosis. He will be having an MRI on Friday and also fluid taken from the spine. I am beside myself at the moment.

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Rocky has suddenly become blind. I understand there is a history of squamous cell carcinoma that was removed and March and now there is suspicion of a tumor behind the eye, which is resulting in blindness. I am very sorry to hear about what is happening. Is that a correct summary of the situation so far?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sort of correct. He went blind. Took him to a specialist eye vet and he said the optic nerves were inflamed. But when he pushed his left eye in it didn't bounce back. His eye sits on a cradle as his eye socket was removed. He has had a few problems with the eye.3rd eye showing, not blinking, or closing his eyelid. But the oncologist kept checking and said it may be neurological. He doesn't have symptoms of brain cancer. No seizures etc. Still eating well. The ophthalmologist is assuming there is a tumour as the eye didn't bounce back.

Optic neuritis, which is inflammation of the nerve behind the retina and the one the ophthalmologist was talking about, is a common cause of sudden blindness. That makes sense it was on the list of possibilities. The retropulsion test, where the ophthalmologist pushed on the eye and it felt rigid, is a common cursory test that assesses for structural abnormalities. Glaucoma is another possible differential that I would be concerned about and that can also cause sudden blindness and a rigid retropulsion test. A MRI would be a good consideration to look behind the retina to confirm if there is a tumor. If a tumor is present then diagnostics can be performed not that to determine if it is cancer and if it is operable. If glaucoma is the cause of his condition then medication is sometimes all that is needed, but surgery is occasionally required as well - it depends on the cause of glaucoma.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate very much a positive review. You may leave 1-5 stars. Your review helps connect Experts with other customers, so your input is highly appreciated. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Rocky's surgeon phoned and said that he found it hard to believe the eye specialist findings. There is no glaucoma in his eyes. Our surgeon thinks it's possible it may well be granuloma.

That is a better possibility than a cancer. A granuloma can be treated with antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medications, and oftentimes does not require surgery.

I just wanted to check in on Rocky. How are things going? Do you have any other questions?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for checking in Scott. MRI reveal a large brain tumour. We made the decision to put him to sleep out of love. He has broken our hearts.

I am very sorry to hear about that. What a difficult loss. I was hoping for a different outcome. I know how important he was to you. Take care. Please let me know if I can help you further.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rocky. How is everything going?
***** *****