Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

T was healthy last night,she enjoyed her grooming and

Customer Question
T was healthy last...

T was healthy last night,she enjoyed her grooming and attention ate dinner had treat, laid on her mat about a few hours later and passed away, I notice a small bit of blue on her gums about a centimetre

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?

Katy and she was a stray that moved into my neighbours about 3 years ago

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Katy?

No I am just wondering about poison, we also had an adopted cat that went missing 8 weeks ago she was playing in the yard and then was gone,she always stuck close to home no amount of searching and adds helped find her

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/12/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

My condolences for your loss of Katy. It's not easy to poison a cat but cats can and do ingest poisoned rodents and then suffer from the same uncontrolled bleeding that the rodents died from after ingesting an anticoagulant rodenticide. The clue for the cause of Katy's peracute (sudden) death is your seeing cyanosis (the blue on her gums) which indicated poor oxygenation of her tissues. In these cases, heart failure should be an important consideration; in particular, cardiomyopathy (heart muscle disease) which is a relatively common cause of peracute deaths in cats. If a heart murmur had been heard during previous physical exams, it would support the hypothesis that cardiomyopathy existed. A heart murmur may not be present, however. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.