Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

My cat is sneezing a lot but doesn't have any discharge from…

Customer Question
My cat is sneezing...

My cat is sneezing a lot but doesn't have any discharge from anywhere he is an in door cat. He is eating normal and still playful no change in any of that. Just his nose seems to be bothering him his sneezing a lot and it sounds like it's has a lot of snot in it

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

Tigger and he is 4 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tigger?

No just that otherwise he's good

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/12/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 11 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Tigger. For a young kitten to be sneezing as much as him, he may have a feline viral upper respiratory infection. At this time, it is good that he's eating normal and still playful. Also good that he's not having a lot of discharge. In these cases, a lot of them just need time, their bodies immune system, good nutrition and rest to let them get over it. Some that get really run down and get a lot of purulent discharge get placed on antibiotics for a secondary bacterial infection, but most don't need this. Could there be something up there that is a persistent irritant - nasal foreign body? Could there be a nasal polyp that is there? These are two other considerations that get brought up but aren't common at all. The feline upper respiratory viral infection is the most common.

Could I give him baby Benadryl to help with the snezzing??
far as I know there isn't anything up there I did try and look but his sneezing get worse in the morning when it's colder in my place. Then when it warms up it seems to get a little better

I wouldn't do any diphenhydramine. The best an owner can do at home is rest, good nutrition, easy access to water, and time. You could bring him into the bathroom when the shower is running to let him breath in the moist, warm air as that can help to soften things in the nasal passage way to facilitate their passing.