Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat Veterinary

She is not eating, she has had issues with passing water,

Customer Question
been to vets had had...
She is not eating, she has had issues with passing water, been to vets had had antibiotic injection (10 day long lasting) anti inflammatory and was prescribed cystaid plus - which she took friday night sat morning and evening saturday morning and evening sunday morning and evening but now is point blank refusing to eat as is constantly being sick bringing up phlegm and watery sick - she is drinking water but not eating , also been prescribed vidalta 10mg for over active thyroid but has stopped eating before I could give her these, managed to get her to take one yesterday but not the cystaid and no food :( same again today dont know what to do she is 20 years old and otherwise healthy according to the bloods my vet took
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: Rwdlan
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rwdlan?
Customer: I dont think so
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/12/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 2 months ago
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 2 months ago

When did the vomiting start?

she has been vomiting a little bit last week but worse since having the injections and having the cystaid - she hasn't had cystaid yesterday or today at all and is still not eating and off her food. she is a house cat nowadays as she doesn't remember where she lives anymore - I'd wonder if she was getting something outside otherwise. The issue with passing water seems to be better now.
Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 2 months ago

We can sometimes see vomiting in response to the thyroid medication when we initially start treatment, has she had any thyroid medication so far?

one yesterday lunchtime and another just now but the vomiting had started before that and she refused any food all day yesterday. I had to coax her to eat a tiny amount of cheese ( the only thing she would eat) to get the thyroid tablet down the hatch and again now with a teeny bit of cheese triangle (the only things she has eaten), I've tried tuna, and canned food and freshly cooked turkey - the things she normally goes for but to no avail. She does look knackered though, would the antibiotics cause it do you think? Is there anything I can give her to settle her stomach food wise? I dip my finger in the food and just smear it on her mouth so she has to lick it off but I have no idea what would help her...also will the cheese cause her any stomach issues or any absorbtion issues with the medicine? :-\ I feel useless !
Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 2 months ago

The cheese is unlikely to cause her significant issues. You can try and give ranitidine (zantac) as an antacid to try and help settle her stomach. It does have a bitter taste to cats and can often cause excessive drooling. For an average sized cat I would recommend a dose of the zantac syrup of 0.6-1ml twice daily.

Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 2 months ago

I assume the long acting antibiotic injection she had from your vet was convenia. It is not common to see vomiting in response to this injection. Did your vet mention her kidney values? Cats with hyperthyroidism can have concurrent renal issues which may be unmasked once the thyroid is being treated, the anti-inflammatory medication could potentially have worsened her kidneys leading to vomiting.

Is that something I can buy online? She only weighs 2.5kg by now
Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 2 months ago

Zantac should be available from the chemist or even in the supermarket.

Sorry didn't see the second message - Vet said the bloods showed kidneys and liver were fine and sugar was 10 and put that down to stress said all in all for her age she seems pretty healthy and good teeth etc - said she didn't want her in for bloods again re the thyroid that I should just carry on giving her the 10mg of Vidalta. I didnt wonder about kidneys before taking her in as she drinks quite a bit of water and her breath is a bit stinky - do you think it could still be the case then?
I don't know what the antibiotic was and I dont know what the anti inflammatory injection was either :-\
I was hoping it was the cystaid plus causing the sickness and that stopping it and letting her be for a short while would help
Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 2 months ago

She has had quite a cocktail of medication recently and any one of them could potentially have upset the balance. My main concern here is her reluctance to eat. Cats can get significant liver changes if they don`t eat for extended periods. Vomiting can also be a sign of hyperthyroidsim, but it certainly is suspicious that her vomiting started soon after she had the meds. How long is it since she last ate? When did she last vomit?

she had a dot of cheese earlier and yesterday with thyroid pill as I said but actual normal eating I would say Saturday afternoon she picked at things Sunday. I temped her with a bit of tuna in spring water yesterday morning but she just threw it up very shortly after. Last time she was sick about 11:00 - it's only liquidy as no food but I know she's drinking water
tempted even
Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 2 months ago

Is she managing to keep water down?

she isn't vomiting immediately after drinking, she drinks finds somewhere to sleep and maybe later on after a couple of hours gets up bring up frothy white liquid and then after another sleep she'll be throwing up just liquid (which is what it's been the last times) so she's been sick three times today first time was the white froth about a tablespoon in diameter on the floor and that's what it was yesterday, then the second time it was just liquid and the third time she was really gagging and throwing up the liquid again, she's had a drink afterwards and not been sick as yet *everything crossed*
Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 2 months ago

Ok, so she should hopefully be maintaining her hydration. Try giving her the zantac and see if that helps. However if she is vomiting multiple times daily and is showing no signs of improvement, I would be keen to have her checked again by your vet as she may benefit from some anti-emetic medication to help with her nausea.

is there anything food wise that is a natural anti emetic for cats that I could smear on her little mouth to make her lick it off? If she keeps being sick I will take her in this evening but am I ok to stop the cystaid for now until things calm down?
well not that I have a choice of course until she starts eating again anyway!
would yogurt be ok? is there anything especially good for her I could put in the food processor and do the same to get some in her I really don't want to force feed her or I suppose is there anything i should avoid giving is my real question? Sorry to be all over the place
I do have a probiotic paste for my other cat's stomach issues - would a tiny bit of that help possibly?
prebiotic?
feline provita
Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 2 months ago

There is nothing you can give at home that is a natural anti-emetic, but it is absolutely fine to stop her cystaid and other meds initially. The probiotic may help, but I feel anything we give her food wise is likely to be vomited back up. Her stomach needs a bit of a break initially to allow things to settle down. My best advise would be to ensure she has access to water this afternoon, don`t give her any more meds, but to get her checked out if her vomiting continues.

ok will do if that goes well, I continue with the thyroid tablets tomorrow?
Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 2 months ago

There is little point in giving the thyroid tablets if she is not keeping them down. But yes, they would be very helpful for her if the vomiting improves, so carry on from tomorrow, yes.

she's taken a bit more cheese and was purring madly at it (thank god! I haven't heard her purr since friday night!) she's not been sick since this morning (as of yet I'm being optimistic but realistic!) So - she's kept the medication down so far - the small amount of cheese she was given with the tablet - if it was the thyroid pill surely she would have been sick by now if it was a reaction to that?
Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 2 months ago

Not necessarily, it can be as the drug is absorbed so could be several hours after taking it that we see signs.

Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling