Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

Cat developed head tremors, which greatly to intensify when…

Customer Question
Cat developed head tremors...

Cat developed head tremors, which greatly to intensify when I am petting him in the neck area. He actually constantly adjusts his head so that I pet him there, and when that happens, he starts to uncontrollably lick the floor

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?

14-15 years old. Name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jerry?

Yes -- he is a disabled cat (for 5 years now, as a result of his spine being damaged by a... gunshot).

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/12/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago
Richard Rawling

Hi, i`m Richard, a Veterinarian from the UK. Hopefully I can help today.

Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago

Is he able to eat and drink ok? Is the head tremor constant?

he eats and drinks fine (well, he seems to drink less water lately, but nothing too serious). The head tremor is somewhat constant, mostly when he stands on his front legs. It appeared ~2 years ago, and seem to become more intense with time.I have recorded two videos (can't attach them here, so I have uploaded on a public server, links below) that might help:
- (1) https://ufile.io/x5prg
- (2) https://ufile.io/wuk3pVideo (1) shows the behavior when I am petting him. He instantly wants to be petted in the neck area, and then starts to uncontrollably lick stuff (usually the floor, sometimes -- his paw, as if he wants to scratch it very hard)Video (2) shows the tremors while he is just standing. They are very slight right now, but often they are stronger. He sometimes licks the floor even without petting, as if he wants to scratch his tongue.There is also something I haven't mentioned yet -- he had a bone fracture on his front right leg soon after he became disabled, we never learned how that had happened. Anyway, his treatment involved a metal implant screwed onto his bone and a metal "needle" that went lengthwise directly through the bone's core. These implants the doctors didn't want to remove as he, given his age, is better off living with them rather than undergoing another surgery.
I will try to obtain whatever x-ray photos I can find if the vet clinic still keeps them, but I am not sure if I will find anything.
Local vets seem to be unable to identify the root cause.
One suggested that it might be an ear infection. We applied some suggested treatment for that, without any change in the tremors.
Another suggested that it might be related to a problem with the anal gland, which sometimes might lead to strange behavior. He literally squeezed it, some nasty brown-black stuff came out, as he expected, but that still did not help with the tremors.
Also, there were suspicions it might be his cat food and that could be a result from an allergy -- changed it, without any difference. Before we changed it, the doctor also applied an anti-allergic injection which ought to reduce his desire to scratch (as at that time we saw he had started to develop some skin problem (hair fall) around the neck, as not only we scratched him but he scratched himself on every corner he could find). The injection and food change did not have any noticeable effect (the skin issue disappeared, as we treated it locally with some cream and stopped touching him there entirely)
Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago

From the videos it certainly looks neurological in origin rather than just a scratch reflex. Has he had any xrays of his neck? Any blood testing for toxoplasmosis? An MRI scan may be the most beneficial diagnostic investigation if it is available.

Hi, MRI is, unfortunately, not available here. I will see if I can get such blood tests done -- is that the only thing that might be useful to you? Should I just ask the vets to do "blood testing for toxoplasmosis" (or is it some general blood test)?
Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago

Toxoplasmosis is a common parasitic condition that can lead to neurological signs, so this would be something to rule out. It is a specific blood test that will need to be sent out to the lab. General bloods would be useful to check liver function as liver issues can also be responsible for neurological signs.

Thanks. I will come back with news on Sunday evening.
Cat Veterinarian: Richard Rawling,
 replied 8 months ago

You are very welcome. I would appreciate the update.

I hope you have found this advice useful and please don`t hesitate to ask if you have any further questions.
If you are happy with the advice offered please don`t forget to rate me as this is the only way the website has of providing me with feedback.
If you don`t click the stars, the website does not acknowledge me for the time I spend helping here!
Thankyou so much,

Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling
Richard Rawling