Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I was clipping my cats nails tonight, and I noticed that her

Customer Question

Hello. I was clipping my cats nails tonight, and I noticed that her paw are both turned outward. I palpated both, and the joints feel almost dislocated...but she diplays no signs of pain, and her gait is fine. She is not overweight. She has a viral (possibly herpes) disease that causes her upper respiratory problems, but is otherwise healthy. She is approximately 11 years old.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Did your cat have a fall?
Customer: Not that I know of, she is quite active though and is able to easily jump up on surfaces. I have not noticed a difference in her behavior recently.
JA: What is the cat's name?
Customer: Bebe
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bebe?
Customer: Other than the viral disease and her advanced age, she has been healthy.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 month ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Bebe. So she's able to walk normally, jump normally, do her normal things? The only thing that made you find this is palpation of her paw region?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello Dr. Bruce. Correct, her gait and activity appears normal. However, I noticed this evening when she sits on her hind legs both front paw are turned outward - it appears to start at the carpal joint. The radius and ulna do not appear to be displaced. Also, I had difficulty flexing her carpal joint. Again, non of my interventions appear to cause pain. There appears to be not tenderness, though her left joint is slightly crepitus.