PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

She lost quite a bit of weight over the summer and is

Customer Question

She lost quite a bit of weight over the summer and is pulling out tufts of fur. She still eats fine.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: Morgaine and she is 10.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Morgaine?
Customer: She used to vomit a lot but she doesn't as much anymore now that she lost weight
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 month ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Are you seeing fur loss with the fur pulling behavior? if so, can you share pictures?

When did this begin?

How much weight has she lost?

Have any diagnostics been run thus far?

Any changes in her appetite?

Any changes in her thirst level?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Unfortunately, I am now at work so I could send this evening. She doesn't have complete hair loss there is still fine hair, but it is getting thin looking.When did this begin?
This began a few months ago and I chopped it up to a very hot summer. She has always had an eating problem as she was orphaned at 4 weeks. So she has a tendency to over eat the dry food and as it expands, she vomits. She has stopped vomiting so much. She eats smaller portions but still has a good appetite.How much weight has she lost?
I think about 4 pounds she has lost over the last 4 months or maybe longer. Which was probably about 1/3 of her body weight.Have any diagnostics been run thus far?
I just called and got an appointment for a local vet. I have run fecal floats and no worms showed up. She has regular stools and urine.Any changes in her appetite?
Her appetite has lessened a little. But she still craves food. She is not lethargic and asks to go outside to roll in the grass.Any changes in her thirst level?
Seems like she is drinking water like she did before. It was a hot summer so I kept plenty of fresh, cool water out for both the cats.Thank you for your help.

Pictures would help even if you can send them after work.

Bloodwork is going to be one of the most important diagnostic right now given her symptoms and her age. This type of substantial weight loss is often seen in cats with liver disease, kidney disease, diabetes, hyperthyroidism, etc. I would also give strong consideration to a urinalysis if she's fur pulling on her abdomen.

Is the fur pulling body-wide or over certain areas?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy