Cat Veterinary

Have Cat Questions? Ask a Cat Vet Online.

Ask a Cat Veterinarian,

He is lethargic and won't eat. He is about 4 years old, ate…

Customer Question
He is lethargic and...

He is lethargic and won't eat.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the cat. What is the cat's name and age?

He is about 4 years old, ate well this morning,

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the cat's name?

Mousse

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mousse?

He ate well this morning but has been lying down all day. He refused to eat which is totally unusual for him. His nose seems dry. His eyes are clear. He may or may not have thrown up this morning. We have another cat so I'm not sure who threw up.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Cat Veterinary
9/12/2017
Cat Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian. replied 9 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Hello again,

Sorry to hear Mousse is unwell, hopefully this is something very minor, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Having read your question through I have to say that if these symptoms continue then what you should do just to be on the safe side is have a vet check him over sooner rather than later. The reason I say this is that while the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet the fact that he is suddenly lethargic and has lost his appetite makes me think that it is possible that he is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the commonest cause of what you are seeing in his age group although of course other diagnosis are also possible.

2. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if he is indeed running a temperature. In the meantime until you can get your cat to a vet all you can do is to keep him comfortable and reassured and make sure he is getting fluids regularly.

3. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Mousse's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.