How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. John Your Own Question
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Category: Cat Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 11362
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588
Type Your Cat Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. John is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My cat ate some leaves from an ornamental pepper plant. He

This answer was rated:

My cat ate some leaves from an ornamental pepper plant. He hasn't thrown up yet or anything
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if your cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: His name is***** and he is 4 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mr.?
Customer: No

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

How long ago did he ingest this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm not sure. Within the last few hours. I thought the door to the room with the plant in it was closed, but it wasn't.

Thanks for the information. The leaves of this plant are indeed toxic to cats. Ingestion can cause gastrointestinal upset, gastrointestinal ulcers, depression, seizures, respiratory depression and shock; so there are potential severe consequences to ingesting this plant. I do believe the berries are the most poisonous part, but the leaves can be dangerous as well. If ingestion was over 2 hours ago, inducing vomiting may not do much at all, but it would be a good idea to do it. The problem is that there isn't a safe way to induce vomiting in cats at home. You cannot use hydrogen peroxide like you do in dogs. The safest way is to have a vet give either xylazine or dexdomitor, but of which are anesthetic drugs that cause cats to vomit at certain dosages. If there isn't any vomiting of leaves, then they may need to do a gastric lavage or just give medical grade activated charcoal to help bind any toxins. So, my best advice is to have a vet check him out immediately. If that is not an option, there is not a lot you can really do at home besides start Pepcid or Prilosec at 2.5 mg per 5-10 lbs of body weight daily. That is basically to protect the stomach and try to avoid an ulcer, but if you start to see any symptoms of illness, he really needs to be seen right away. The problem with some toxicities is that it is a lot easier to try to prevent complications than treat them when they occur. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Even if he didn't eat very much? It looks like he got a couple of bites out of some leaves, but not too much. Should I definitely still call my vet?

I would to be on the safe side. There really isn't a toxic dose that is established for eating something like this. They can always call the ASPCA poison control hotline as well ($65 charge) to see if they can get anymore information, but there really doesn't seem to be anymore out there besides the potential for severe clinical signs. At the very least, I would just see if they can give him activated charcoal and let you monitor him at home for any further problems. To me, that would be the safest route to go without doing anesthesia, gastric lavage an in hospital monitoring. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay, thanks so much

You are very welcome. Let me know if you have further concerns.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Dr. John and 2 other Cat Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you