Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My cat has a open wound by his anus that is red and pus on

Customer Question

My cat has a open wound by his anus that is red and pus on it. the cat is eating and playing
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your cat bleeding a lot?
Customer: no i didn't notice any blood when I put peroxide on it and some anti biotic ointment
JA: What is the cat's name and age?
Customer: the cat is named Knux and he is 9
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Knux?
Customer: he has allergies
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cat Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. It sounds very much like he has an anal gland abscess that has ruptured. You see these more commonly in dogs, but they do happen in cats as well. An anal gland gets impacted, cannot express the material and the bacteria just overgrows. It usually doesn't feel as bad once it has ruptured, but it can still be sensitive. I would have your vet check this out. They may need to do a more thorough flushing of the abscess, but he definitely needs to get on some antibiotics to eliminate the infection and get is healing better. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 month ago.

Hello. I was just following up to see how Knux is doing and to see if you have any other questions.