Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a cat that will be 1 year old on the 18 of September.

I have a cat that will be 1 year old on the 18 of September. She has an area of hanging skin on her belly that she has pulled her hair out in that area. She eats between 1/2 to 1 can of food a day. She seems to be over weight for amount eaten and I wanted to know if it is a problem or me being new to cat ownership?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Expert will know if the cat will be able to digest that. What is the cat's name?
Customer: C***** *****
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the cat?
Customer: She is vaccinated and spayed but I come to believe she has a period like after she urinate drops on floor near her box are bronish color not like urine

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately. If you have not responded back in 10 minutes, it may be a longer before I can get back to you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

Are there any sores or redness on the skin where she has pulled that hair out?

Is she urinating in her box at all?

How long have you seen the brownish color urine?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No redness on skin and she always urinate in her box. It's drops that fall after she gets out of her box. I also see a redishbrown spot on the towel in her little bed. If she sits on my lap immediately after urinating she leaves brownish spot on my lap. It looks like when a period ends that brownish residue before no more period even smells like it
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She was spayed on 2/4/16 by the ASPCA

Thanks for the information. Usually pulling hair out on the belly and inner thighs in cats is related to stress. It is called psychogenic alopecia. The hair just looks like it was broken or shaved close to the skin, but there are no skin lesions. It is just hair loss. You cannot rule out allergies, ringworm or external parasites, but those diseases usually cause redness, itching and other skin sores. The hair loss can sometimes even reach up to the flank and outer part of the rear limbs. The dark color in the urine drops has me concerned about a urinary tract infection, but it is possible that there may be a lot of debris around her vulva that discolors the urine. If she looks clean around there, then a urinary tract infection would be most likely. I would have your vet check out the skin to make sure it is nothing else besides a behavioral issue and to check her urine out to see if she has an infection. Cats don't usually have the bloody discharge with a heat cycle because they only ovulate if they are stimulated when copulating with a male cat. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I bathe her weekly and if she has a poop accident I wash her genital area so she is very clean. She is indoor cat and her box is cleaned multiple times daily since I am home and can not take a dirty house, cat, or cat box! She has no male cats, she has never seen another cat.i will take her to a local vet thank you.

You are very welcome. Chances are that is coming from the urinary tract then. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will thank you.

You are welcome