Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Is there a neurologist who can help? a kitten, Sorry, just

Is there a neurologist who can help?
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: a kitten
JA: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the kitten?
Customer: Sorry, just emailed you from my work account about the kitten and switched to personal computer. It's the one who isn't moving and has pupils different sizes.
JA: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the kitten. What is the kitten's name?
Customer: Sancha. It's not just lethargy. She's not walking at all, and is having trouble opening her mouth. I gave her some pureed food and she took that, but very little.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sancha?
Customer: All of her vitals came back fine, except her protein was a little high--but the ER vet said it is not of concern.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear about Sancha. I am sorry, but I do not see your other posting.

I am a general practitioner; there are no neurologists on this site. I will do the best I can to help.

I see her vitals are normal. Were any other tests done: CBC (complete blood count), chemistries, tests for specific conditions such as feline leukemia, FIP, Feline Aids, Toxoplasmosis?

Do you know how high her protein level was?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
all negative.

So there were tests specifically for FIP, Toxo, and leukemia?

What is the protein level?

What was the white blood cell count?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have already paid. Note, my earlier email said that she'll be 6 months old tomorrow. She was completely fine until a few days ago, she started walking funny (she hasn't gotten into anything toxic and isn't showing signs of electrocution). The ER pointed out her pupils are different sizes and she's not walking at all now. Her reflexes seem fine but she's having trouble opening her mouth, so I had to give her some pureed food, which she took.

I was not able to find your earlier email. This is the only question I can see.

Did another expert help you on your first question?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't know the protein or blood cell count. I'll see if I can find it, but not sure they specified it in the bill.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They ruled out the other three things

Since I can't see and examine her, seeing her medical records could be helpful.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, I didn't get an answer to the first one. I got the payment page, at which point I realized I was on my work computer, so I switched.

If you did not get help from another expert, then you have not paid. When I search your history, the deposit you put down for this question is all that comes up. If you want to know more about payments and deposits, please contact customer service on the drop down menu. I do not have access to that.

Cleary there is something neurologic going on. It still could FIP (there is no definitive test to rule out this condition). It could be injury, congenital neurologic problem, an autoimmune or inflammatory process. If a full chemistry panel, Felv/FIV test, CBC and FIP and Toxo testing are all normal then the next step would be tests we do to look for things in the brain and spinal cord: Spinal tap, MRi, etc.

Are you sure an FIP and Toxo tests were done? It usually takes a couple of days for these tests to come back from the lab. These are not in house tests.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My payment seems to have been confirmed? I'm having the ER email me the reports but don't know how quickly they'll get them to me.

You only pay when an expert gives you an answer you accept, and rate. Up till then, it is only a deposit. Again, you can check with customer service to be sure about this. At Just Answer we never get payment until you get an answer you are happy with!

So again, are you sure they did Toxo and FIP testing? If so, it will help to know what tests were done, since FIP can be difficult to diagnose and does affect the nervous system of young cats.

Any ticks on his body? Tick paralysis is another possibility.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I doubt she has any ticks. She's an indoor kitten.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Could she have gotten toxo from her food? She eats Stella & Chewy's and Primal, but last week, she stopped eating it alltogether and would only nibble at the dry food (Fussie Cat).
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also, she's had all of her shots

She would get toxoplasmosis from eating uncooked raw meat, or mice.

There are no vaccinations for FIP or Toxo.

If she had vaccinations for FELV or FIV but was not tested first to be sure she did not already have the virus, she could still have one of these diseases.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I understand, that makes sense. But her organs are functioning fine, and no fluid..doesn't that these out?

No, it does not. There can be "dry" FIP. Toxo would not necessarily have fluid. Sometimes the disease is only in the brain and spinal cord, out of reach of blood tests.

I really would want to know about the high protein, that is a marker for FIP.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK. The ER vet said it's only slightly elevated, not of concern. But hopefully I'll get the reports soon.

That will be helpful. If FIP and Toxo were truly ruled out then the next steps would be things like a spinal tap. But I would be sure all the appropriate blood tests have been done before doing that.

Please let me know if my answer was helpful, and what other questions I can answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are any of these treatable?

Toxo can be treated with a course of clindamycin. FIP can be treated, but is eventually fatal; there is no cure. Things like interferon and steroids can slow the symptoms and improve quality of life sometimes for awhile.

And there are other things it could be, some of which could be treated.

Please let me know if my answer is helpful and what other questions I can answer. Seeing the test results might be helpful.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did find out that one of the other kittens in her litter died from FIP. But does FIP cause muscular stiffness? And to clarify, did you say if she has the "dry" version that fluid in the abdominal cavity wouldn't be present?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Since the uneven gate, pupils different sizes, and eventual inability to stand up, I thought that FIP was out. Will toxo cause these symptoms?

If a littermate had FIP, that is the first thing I would rule out before doing other tests.

FIP has many different forms, and can look different in different kittens.

Dry FIP does not form fluid in the chest or abdomen.

FIP can just affect the eyes, or brain, and cause the symptoms you describe. So can Toxo, but it can be treated.

I have not heard back from you. Please let me know how your kitten is doing, and if you have any other questions.

Please let me know if you think my answer was helpful!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** helpful. I'm still waiting for the records (just called again), but I'm hoping for toxo.

You are welcome! Please let me know when you get them.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Rebecca, sorry, I lost our thread yesterday and then Sancha passed away about 4:30 pm. They did not get the records to me until very late last night--and I'd send you the attachment, but not sure how to?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can I send the records to you somehow? I'd still like to know your opinion. I loved having her so much, and would like to know as much as possible about what happened so I know what to do if it comes up with the next cat(s).

Sorry I was away a couple of days. I am so sorry to hear about Sancha passing. My sincere condolences.

You can only post records here; other customers take a picture and post it, using the paper clip icon you should be able to see above.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Rebecca. I've attached them here. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Thank you. This report indicates her blood tests are pretty normal, with a slight elevation in her white blood cells called neutrophils and slightly high globulins (protein). There is no way to get a diagnosis from these blood tests; you would need an autopsy to tell you for sure why she died.

From what you have told me and from this report, FIP would be at the top of my list of possible reasons for her death. She was considered underweight, a body condition of 3/9 when it should be 5/9, and that indicates there may have been something going on longer than was apparent to to you.

Toxoplasmosis would be on the list, as well as congenital neurologic conditions, infection of the nervous system, a parasite migrating into the brain. Only an autopsy would tell you for sure, but since a littermate died of FIP that would be the most likely.

I am so sorry she passed away. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Rebecca, thank you so much for your help. She had lost the weight very rapidly, it seemed within a week or less, which made sense because she just stopped eating. I can now look back and consider that as a red flag. At the time, some of my friends and others who had kittens seemed to think it was normal and were experiencing similar "finicky" behavior from their pets. I had been frantically buying different foods, trying to find something she liked because she seemed interested in eating-it's just that she'd walk up to the bowl, sniff, and reject the contents.Also, I was shocked that the "advanced" emergency clinic was not able to do further testing and recommended I take her to a neurologist. I could not get her in for an appt. anywhere until the following Tuesday morning, which by then was too late. Very disappointing given that we spent so much precious time in the ER.

It is not normal for a kitten to lose weight and stop eating. When cats act hungry but then sniff the food and walk away, that is classic behavior for internal disease.

I am so sorry for your loss. Sadly, this was probably FIP. Please let me know what other questions you have.